Lbl feralhogs

Sandman73

Spike
Dec 1, 2004
Paris Ky
I hope they keep up the aerial gunning operations. That’s the way to go. At least that’s how they knocked them down around Hickman.

Of course, LBL is mostly forested now so you have a small window of opportunity in February and March while the leaves are off the trees.
Yes, the aerial assault with helicopters is the way to go. The best way to get a handle on how many are there and an effective way to take them out. I hope they do it every year.

JR in KY

12 pointer
Jan 25, 2006
The Occupied South
A friend of mine in Oklahoma runs a Hunting Lodge that offers Hog Hunts kinda as a sideline to their other Game Animals.
CanadianRiverHilton.com
He says they slaughter the young ones and just bury the Old Big Ones.

KYote-Krusher

12 pointer
Jan 12, 2006
South Central Kentucky
Ran across this on YouTube and thought it was maybe a glimpse into the future of LBL if they don't do something about those hogs.
Spoiler: Didn't know a wild hog could grow to over 400 pounds! :eek:

Two things came to mind after watching that; first it looks like a great way to help solve a "large" problem while having a blast AND ... I'd sure want to know that the guy(s) next to me wasn't prone to going brain dead and forgetting there's somebody standing next to him (ME) when he's swinging that rifle around in all the excitement. :)

PS When I watched that video, the next one that came up automatically was about night vision coyote hunting ... watch that one if you'd care to see it.
It's here:

Last edited:

Rutman76

Fawn
Aug 15, 2021
Georgia
Gut shoot em and let them run off to die. Same with a coyote… no evidence then.

And no. I don’t care if someone thinks that the wrong thing to do… better than letting the hogs ruin the entire habitat.

Onthedge

6 pointer
Dec 11, 2020
South East Ky
I have never understood the claim of all the destruction wild hogs can do, I've hunted the past 45 years where hogs are, and never seen anything destroyed by them. They're just like any other wild animal trying to survive.
Just my 2 cents.

Havoclover

Fawn
Aug 13, 2021
Georgia
I’m from Georgia. Born and raised and still live here… I can assure y’all, you don’t want hogs. The problems that come with them are unreal. It’s kind of funny, they’re super nomadic. Where I live and my primary hunting properties, we don’t have hogs. But you can drive an hour or so ANY direction from my location and be in hog country. I have a good bit of friends I hunt with a few times a year that are in hog territory. It starts out fun and all, then after that it gets old quickly. They’ll ruin a food plot and other food sources. They’ll keep the deer ran off. They are smart and actually hard to hunt. Especially when pressured, so keeping them at a manageable level by killing them while deer hunting (or actively trying to hunt them) begins to be a chore. Also, when hunting with these friends, seems their coyote numbers are higher as well. In my opinion, that’s due to so many people just shooting them and leaving them lay. (Before there’s any naysayers about that, that’s literally what it’s come to. I think it’s safe to say anyone with hog issues, MIGHT keep one in every 5-7 hogs they kill. They leave the other ones for the ditch monster to eat.)

I don’t think a bounty would work. Not going to go into detail, but they were giving out a $25 per tail bounty at one time. I believe it began to get out of hand and folks were driving for hours to collect the bounty for pigs that were shot counties and maybe even a state or two over.

I’m not sure the angle KY is playing with not wanting anyone to shoot them, but I don’t see that ending well.

HuntressOfLight

12 pointer
Nov 23, 2019
Guarding my lovely bluebirds
I’m from Georgia. Born and raised and still live here…

I’m not sure the angle KY is playing with not wanting anyone to shoot them, but I don’t see that ending well.

Kentucky is a hardcore nanny state, compared to what we know and understand...

A cash cow, oinkers in this case, to a select few, who don't want their new found cash to disappear, would be my guess (that's how things usually work)...

https://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal/nrcs/detail/national/programs/farmbill/?cid=NRCSEPRD1461219

Interactive map of pilot programs:

https://nrcs.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapSeries/index.html?appid=814cf9e75485458da43db3a65b1bcd51

"In other states where feral swine issues are not as abundant, but still present, APHIS will be continuing their National Feral Swine Damage Management Program. This program exists in all states and works to prevent the spread of feral swine and reduce their damage. The National Feral Swine Damage Management Program will continue to exist in the selected pilot states and the pilot projects will work as a companion to those efforts."

Last edited:

RRK

Fawn
Feb 7, 2021
KY
I'd think there's too many trees to deal with. Nothing like the big ag fields or the low brush in Texas.
Your right 1wildcatfan, to much forest, aerial assault will never get it done. A friend of mine who works maintenance in LBL told me they never had but one aerial assault on the hogs and they pretty much decided that wasn't going to work.

FOWLER2671

12 pointer
Sep 11, 2009
Evicted from Aintry'
I have never understood the claim of all the destruction wild hogs can do, I've hunted the past 45 years where hogs are, and never seen anything destroyed by them. They're just like any other wild animal trying to survive.
Just my 2 cents.

The only wild hogs I've been around were what we called "Boarhogs" in Germany. I never hunted one as a German Hunting lic is about as time consuming as getting a nursing degree... But the Germans are DEDICATED to forest management!! Far more then the US. They still have plenty of critters to hunt and quite a bit of farming.

It was common to see hogs on the Tank Ranges with the Thermal sights but we were not supposed to target them. It was also common for them to raid trash piles etc looking for food. Many a G.I. has been run up a tree or onto a vehicle by them

1wildcatfan

12 pointer
Jan 2, 2009
raised n Bullitt Co.
Just my 2 cents.
Google pics of hog destruction in Texas. Destroy some ag fields quickly and multiply fast.

Latest posts