Lbl feralhogs

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by grinder, Nov 22, 2020.

1. grinder

grinder 10 pointer

Oct 28, 2003
    harrodsburg, ky, USA.
    Thing is, the money they spend with their methods, they could pay a bounty and let the masses take care of them. Market hunting wiped out the game populations in the 1800’s, deer, elk, moose, bison, passenger pigeons….i bet if you started a bounty system they would get killed out quick. I think if they could build a cat food cannery and pay for carp they could thin them out too.

Meatstick and Tankt like this.
  2. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    You will never eradicate Coyotes? That is TRUE. But we don't have very many Coyote HUNTERS in Kentucky.
    We have folks that shoot them if they present an occasional shot, but VERY few that really Go After them.
    I used to "Go After" them but I have got Arthritis problems in Cold weather and Farm Work to do in Warm weather. ( newly mown hayfields at Nighttime.)
    Which boils down to EXCUSES!!!
    HOGS are worse because they breed faster. I have never seen a live wild hog yet.

3. Sandman73

Sandman73 Fawn

Dec 1, 2004
    Central Ky
    It's very logical. If you reward illegal behavior you will get more illegal behavior. Every public land across the state would be a target to drop more hogs so people could dump a mag at them. Those of us trying to scratch a living out of farming would be the ones having to deal with the consequences.

Buzzy likes this.
  4. Sandman73

Sandman73 Fawn

Dec 1, 2004
    Central Ky
    If you want to report hogs to LBL officials, I have sent multiple topo maps of hog sign and sightings to this email address. They appreciate the detailed maps.

[email protected]

KY Swamp Beagler likes this.
  5. grinder

grinder 10 pointer

Oct 28, 2003
    harrodsburg, ky, USA.
    I certainly hope they are eradicated, and quick. Im not endorsing the spread of hogs, they are a blight, but i have killed a few, one in florida, and 3 in texas, the meat is great, something i hate to see wasted, and it also has to be very expensive baiting and trapping them. Just thinking out loud.

6. Sandman73

Sandman73 Fawn

Dec 1, 2004
    Central Ky
    I also hope they are eradicated. They have drastically changed the habitat and deer activity in area 9 in a short period of time. I will say that I saw less sign in Nov '21 than I did the year before. I did not make in into all my spots but the places I did go I only saw 2 fresh active wallows and a few muddy trees where they had been rubbing. So maybe shooting them from the helicopter in early '21 was effective in reducing the population.

7. grinder

grinder 10 pointer

Oct 28, 2003
    harrodsburg, ky, USA.
    Area 9? Thats west of the trace, by ky lake.

8. cityslicker

cityslicker 8 pointer

Jan 11, 2010
    Hart county
    I have to respectfully disagree JR, there's probably more coyote hunters than ever in Kentucky. After Kentucky legalized hunting at night with a rifle there's a lot more people out there killing them regularly. I don't know if you're on Facebook, but there's several groups on the dedicated to coyote hunting in Kentucky.

Tankt likes this.
  9. Sandman73

Sandman73 Fawn

Dec 1, 2004
    Central Ky
    Yes. West of the trace to KY Lake from hwy 68 all the way to the KY/TN line. It's the steepest and roughest terrain in all of LBL. I've hunted it a lot. Very little hunting pressure. To tough for most people to hunt.
    The first hogs were dropped in TN. From the sudden increase in population in 9, officials believe more hogs were dropped off the trace near the 350 loop that goes down in Blockhouse bottoms. They have migrated N and E from there. Not many N of 68 buts its inevitable they will be.

10. grinder

grinder 10 pointer

Oct 28, 2003
    harrodsburg, ky, USA.
    I dunno, hogs travel a lot

11. RRK

RRK Fawn

Feb 7, 2021
    KY
    I can agree it's some of the steepest, My granddaddy Frank Colson, grandmother, uncles and cousins are buried on one of the highest points in area 9. I never did like hunting area 9, I bow hunted LBL quite a bit back in the late 70's early 80's my favorite area's then was 8 or 10 on the south end. Spoke with a friend that volunteers some of his time to help out in the elk pen in LBL, I ask him about the hogs, he said I don't know the answer but trapping alone will not work there producing to fast.

12. Jmd

Jmd Spike

Sep 26, 2016
    On federal property would be like stealing an army tank, same penalty.

Feedman likes this.
  13. KYote-Krusher

KYote-Krusher 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2006
    South Central Kentucky

Ditto ... it's been years since I "Krushed" a "KYote" in Kentucky, I did get a couple in Kansas 2 years ago but that was just them being in the wrong place when I had a gun handy. I really miss it but ... it's easy for me to come up with "excuses" too. :(

I hereby resolve to try harder ..... as soon as it warms up .... o_O :p

Dark Cloud and Feedman like this.
  14. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    I hope they keep up the aerial gunning operations. That’s the way to go. At least that’s how they knocked them down around Hickman.

Of course, LBL is mostly forested now so you have a small window of opportunity in February and March while the leaves are off the trees.

15. grinder

grinder 10 pointer

Oct 28, 2003
    harrodsburg, ky, USA.
    Id like to get in on that, or at least watch, and get my fill of meant