Lbl feralhogs

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by grinder, Nov 22, 2020.

1. RRK

RRK Fawn

Feb 7, 2021
    KY
    About the same spot a friend of mine seen them last week!

2. KyThunder

KyThunder Fawn

Jun 2, 2019
    West KY
    When I seen them I turned around and pulled down in the little parking area on the bike/walking trail. A few minutes later a truck came by, seen them, and pulled down in there by me. It was two guys from Georgia. I've never hunted hogs, they have. He looked at them thru binoculars and said two of them were HUGE. They couldn't believe hunting them is not allowed.

3. Sandman73

Sandman73 Fawn

Dec 1, 2004
    Central Ky
    I saw my first one in area 9 near TN line in Nov 2018. A boar charged toward me to within 15 yards. It was chomping with a large white oak between us. It finally took off. The next day about half mile away I had a different boar do the same. I have seen lots of sign and lots of pigs in area 9 from Colson to TN line every year since then.

KYote-Krusher and Feedman like this.
  4. grinder

grinder 10 pointer

Oct 28, 2003
    harrodsburg, ky, USA.
    I understand why they dont allow hunting, but when they trap, say 30 hogs, what is done with the meat ? I feel like a backhoe is nearby. Thats a shame. Id help them trap for the meat.

Tankt likes this.
  5. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    Feedman and KYote-Krusher like this.
  6. grinder

grinder 10 pointer

Oct 28, 2003
    harrodsburg, ky, USA.
    Where does it say they will fine you for killing one?

Tankt likes this.
  7. KY Swamp Beagler

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    From the website:
    Hunting feral hogs in Land Between the Lakes is illegal.

My guess is it’s going to cost you some money one way or the other.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022 at 1:35 PM
  8. Sandman73

Sandman73 Fawn

Dec 1, 2004
    Central Ky
    I think the real reason for not allowing hunting is not giving the satisfaction of hunting to the ones who illegally released the hogs trying to create spot to hunt them. It's not that LBL officals don't want them trapped and killed to eradicate them...they just don't want recreational hog hunting to come as a result of the illegal act of releasing the hogs.

Feedman, Dark Cloud and JR in KY like this.
  9. KY Swamp Beagler

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    You are correct.

It’s the perception of wild hogs. They are an invasive species. They are not a game animal. They are a pest. We eradicate pests.

We do not eradicate game species. We manage them. We do not want to manage hogs. We want to extirpate them from the landscape. As soon as you make them a game species then they have a value. Once a species has a value then folks advocate for them. The feral pig deserves no advocation in KY.

Go to another state to quasi-advocate for them by hunting them there. See how the perception aspect works?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022 at 1:43 PM
    web splitter and Sandman73 like this.
  10. Tankt

Tankt 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2019
    Kentucky
    I disagree with your logic. Yes, they are an invasive species that should be eradicated, just like pythons in Florida. You can kill them to your heart's content down there. Should be the same here. They even have considered a bounty on pythons. Why not with hogs here? Win-win for everyone.
    I do not at all agree they are doing this to keep from giving satisfaction to anyone. That is completely irrational.

11. KyThunder

KyThunder Fawn

Jun 2, 2019
    West KY
  12. KyThunder

KyThunder Fawn

Jun 2, 2019
    West KY
    I did last night. Tried to call today, no answer.

13. KY Swamp Beagler

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    Satisfaction doesn’t have anything to do with it. That was his word - not mine. But his premise is correct. It has to do with preventing changing the perception of an invasive animal to a game animal in KY. It also has to do with solving a problem with the best method. The best method at the early stages (before they spread) is trapping. States like TX, LA, GA, etc. are too far gone. They can’t be eradicated there only managed.

Hunters are good at managing game species, but not necessarily eradicating them. We haven’t eradicated coyotes yet.

14. Onthedge

Onthedge 6 pointer

Dec 11, 2020
    South East Ky
    And you never will.

Brody and KY Swamp Beagler like this.
  15. grinder

grinder 10 pointer

Oct 28, 2003
    harrodsburg, ky, USA.
    I believe you are correct sir

Sandman73 likes this.