Layout blinds

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by Big Snuff, Feb 5, 2020.

1. Big Snuff

Big Snuff 6 pointer

Nov 25, 2018
    North central ky
    Finally found a lease close to the D.U. big wigs at the Buffalo farm. I am going to have to buy a layout blind to hunt there. It's really, really short grass. Anyhow, who makes the best layout blind as far as comfort goes? I want something that has some kind of seat it in. Preferably something that keeps my body up off the ground. I am not worried about the cost, I can sell some bands if I have to on Ebay to fund the project.

Thanks!

Capttrae likes this.
  2. javman

javman Fawn

Nov 6, 2006
    I really like my Finisher blind. Does not have a seat but has an inclined back rest.

Quacksmaker04 likes this.
  3. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    Congratulations. You could purchase this one. It's not expensive, but some of those ladies you keep trying to impress probably won't know the difference.

https://www.potterybarn.com/m/products/madera-teak-double-chaise-daybed-cushion/?cm_cat=Google&sku=9620449&catalogId=84&cm_ite=9620449&gclid=Cj0KCQiA7OnxBRCNARIsAIW53B8oFcgyC5znXzaIZK8tbCwPzoyWK-s-u3JCuRlXkjeGq8m49_eICUsaAjVHEALw_wcB&cm_ven=PLA&cm_pla=Outdoor > Lounge Furniture

WMAallDAY likes this.
  4. Giveem3outdoors

Giveem3outdoors 12 pointer

Jan 18, 2009
    ohio county ky
    I've had finishers and groundforces in recent years. Not crazy about either. First one I ever had was a final approach xlandr and it was by far my favorite. I plan to be in a final approach again next season.

5. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
  6. Brsutton86

Brsutton86 12 pointer

Sep 19, 2009
    Harrodsburg, KY
    A frame. That's all I hunt practically is ponds with no cover and fields.

hunt-4-life21 likes this.
  7. Big Snuff

Big Snuff 6 pointer

Nov 25, 2018
    North central ky
    Does that blind have a bottom in it? It's hard to tell from the first picture?

I have a older cabelas blind. I think it's a instinct or something like that. It has a sling type seat in it and I like it. However, i dont think they make it anymore. The cabelas blind has an aluminum frame, but the hinges are plastic and most of them have broken due to heavy use.

8. Big Snuff

Big Snuff 6 pointer

Nov 25, 2018
    North central ky
    HOL,
    Thank you for the link you posted. I really like the style, but would prefer something with more color. I also am not a fan of teak wood. I prefer traditional hardwoods like cherry, oak or a burl maple.

The only thing I thought was a little over the top were the light fixtures. I prefer something not so obtrusive in the sleeping area.

9. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
    It does have a bottom. Buy it.

10. Rod S.

Rod S. 8 pointer

Oct 20, 2004
    Pewee Valley, Ky.
    C'mon Big Snuff panels are the way to go. You can sit, stand, cook, eat, bs while you listen to the constant pounding from the buff farm. Or you could go to Rural King & get a buffalo decoy or 2 set them up & sublease your field to the high rollers.

11. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    Panel blind is the way to go. I got a layout that I like. But so much easier to use panels.
    Avion X is a good one. Cost as much or less than a good layout.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
  12. hunt-4-life21

hunt-4-life21 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2007
    Butler Co.
    I think Rogers has avian x blinds for $309 right now. I've owned the groundforce and a finisher. I preferred the groundforce because you could fold it up like a big backpack. I rarely hunt out of them anymore tho.

13. BootsOn27

BootsOn27 6 pointer

Oct 13, 2011
    I've had 2 finishers for 10 years or so now. They get the job done but that's about it. One of them had to be stitched too short or something because it was a nut strainer to put together. Ended up taking a hacksaw and cutting a little off of the front frame tubes. Also cut the rods out that keeps the camo mesh stiff where your noggin is supposed to go. I don't know whose idea that was, but it was about as comfortable as I'd imagine HOL's underwires to be.

14. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    You are very welcome. The Sunbrella fabric used for that cabana's cushions is actually an excellent product. It comes in many colors and patterns and is utilized in a variety of applications, lasting decades while taking a beating, requiring very little maintenance.

I am not under the impression that the entity has thought about attempting to capture the hunting market, but I imagine they would not be opposed to such. Perhaps consider contacting them regarding your needs and request camouflage pattern, etc.

https://www.sunbrella.com/

As for underwire, native Floridians do not bother with such things...too hot outside for us...

15. Big Snuff

Big Snuff 6 pointer

Nov 25, 2018
    North central ky
    I just went to order it from Rodgers and their description says it does not have a floor. I like the seat design, but I am afraid of my stuff sitting in the mud and water if it doesn't have a floor. I know you replied yours has a floor, is the link you posted the exact same model you have?