Layout blind and decoy bag advise

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by Jacobhwrd, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Jacobhwrd

Jacobhwrd 6 pointer

Jan 26, 2014
    Richmond, Ky
    I am looking for any advise I can get about these two things. I actually hunt crow and not water fowl but everything I am using (except decoys) was designed for water fowl. I am looking g to get a layout blind that will also double as a decoy bag. I have found a hand full that do this but the design doesn't look good. I can't seem to find one with the window/doors/flaps (not sure what the term is for the opening) and carries around a dozen decoys. it's just a flap that lays on you. I am dojng a lot of my crow hunting on public land so I can't drive to where i set up. There are a few places where I will have to walk back about a mile. With that in mind I am trying to figure out how to carry everything in one haul. Anyone have any ideas?

2. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    I don't know of any layout blinds that actually can carry Decoys in.
    But why not get a decoy bag for your Decoys. Get a layout blind that you like the looks of.
    Then buy you a Waterfowl Sled to pull along to haul your stuff in. They work good on dry wet ice or snow ground.And LIGHT WEIGHT TO.

3. EKYridgerunner

EKYridgerunner 10 pointer

Sep 13, 2010
    The sleds a good idea.

If you don't want to go that route, any layout blind that folds from the feet and clips back to the head should pack what you need. I used a cabelas blind for a few seasons that way.

4. Jacobhwrd

Jacobhwrd 6 pointer

Jan 26, 2014
    Richmond, Ky
    I actually didnt even know about the sleds. I already have a decoy bag that i like and use it now but with that and my blind bag and shotgun it was gonna be to much to add a layout blind too. Thanks i will look that up now and see what i can find.

5. Jacobhwrd

Jacobhwrd 6 pointer

Jan 26, 2014
    Richmond, Ky
    I will be going to cabelas this weekend to look at the layout blinds that they have. I will keep and eye out for what you're talking about. I assumed everythign would be about to go on sale with the seasons closed/closing.

6. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    I have a 4 foot I sometimes use if ground is to where I cant drive back to my Duck blind. It is about half mile to walk to.
    I can put 2 dozen Duck decoys in it 4 floater geese blind bag and gun case in it.The if I have to change blind location because of wind. My built blind would be wrong to hunt. I load the sled with same way but strap my layout on top of the other stuff in the sled.

7. ukyager

ukyager 8 pointer

Jan 21, 2005
    KENTUCKY
    FYI cabelas in Louisville has about zero waterfowl gear right now. I was just there on Sunday, don't remember seeing one layout blind.

8. Brsutton86

Brsutton86 12 pointer

Sep 19, 2009
    Harrodsburg, KY
    Best prices I see on layouts is Rogers sales.

9. Jacobhwrd

Jacobhwrd 6 pointer

Jan 26, 2014
    Richmond, Ky
    Thanks, you just saved me about 3 hours of driving. I went to Sprotsmans Warehouse in Lexington after work and they only had two layout blinds and one of the ppl who works there had to walk me into the back to look at them. It seems this might be a little bit harder to get this stuff then i thought. I am headed to Nashville in two weeks so i am going to stop at Gander Mountain and see what they have. I'm not willing to buy something that expensive without seeing or trying it first.

10. Jacobhwrd

Jacobhwrd 6 pointer

Jan 26, 2014
    Richmond, Ky
    I will check that out. Thanks.

11. jtcain02

jtcain02 6 pointer

Aug 20, 2011
    Cabelas in Louisville had several layout blinds in the Bargain Cave this past weekend. They have several on sale right now for $100. Don't know if they double as decoy bags tho...