Layin down the horns

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Suthrn2k8, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Suthrn2k8

Suthrn2k8 6 pointer

Oct 16, 2008
    Shelby Co. Ky.
    Had a great hunt yesterday evening. Got to my stand and by 4:45 i had seen 10 does. Not 10 minutes later the field i was overlooking had about 18 does in it. Of course they were about 200 yards out and not feeding in my direction at all. Then the biggest deer ive seen this year walks out like hes on a mission towards the does. I tried to grunt at him to get his attention and no dice... Then i grabbed the antlers and crashed them together a few times which made every doe in the field flee immediately. The buck payed no attention to it whatsoever and continued his march to where the does had been standing. His nose hit the ground and picked up the pace and chased a doe around for quite some time.
    Have you guys noticed the deer getting antler shy i guess youd say. Not sure Im going to do any more rattling this year after seeing the reaction the does made yesterday.

2. owcobro

owcobro 6 pointer

Dec 6, 2004
    walton, ky
    I had some does in front of me in late Oct. in a food plot and heard two bucks fighting in some thick stuff. When they heard the commotion they all spooked and headed the other direction.

3. Maybe he was a lover and not a fighter!:D

Besides, if two guys are fighting over a girl, its a perfect time to step in when she is left unattended.

4. str8 shot

str8 shot 12 pointer

Nov 4, 2006
    berea kantuckie
    well as of right now the rut is winding down unless some does are coming into second estrus...most bucks have already probably faught all theyve wanted too and dont want any more of it unless its a dominant deer...i rattled deer in the first week of gun season but probably wont this weekend

5. NonTyp

NonTyp 12 pointer

Apr 9, 2006
    Horntown
    Rick makes a good point. I believe deer have different personalities. This one may have not been a fighter. Also, it is common for a buck to forget about a fight when he has his eye on a lady! Buck to doe ratio also has big effects on the affectiveness of rattling.

6. buckoff

buckoff Spike

Nov 27, 2008
    mason co
    In my opinion, if ky didn't have such a exstinsive amount of gun hunting the deer would be alot more likely to respond in a positive manner right now, but look at it from their point of view, for he last several weeks they have heard so many people calling, walking through their woods, and shooting at them. I would prolly run too!!!!!!!!

7. Suthrn2k8

Suthrn2k8 6 pointer

Oct 16, 2008
    Shelby Co. Ky.
    I realize i had little to no chance at pulling the buck off of the does but what really startled me was the fact that the does took off like a bat out of He!! Was kinda wanting to keep the does out in front of me or at least come to me as im sure they are the best attractant out there. Dosent seem like hitting the horns helped that much.. Was thinking that maybe theyve just been rattled to so much that theyve caught on. Would have to be by other hunters though because thats the first time ive hunted that small property this year.

8. Deer are so giddy right now that they will spook at the sound of a chipmunk farting. After the influx of human scent, being shot at, being jumped from their beds, and basically harrassed for over a month solid, it doesn't take much to make them freak.