Laural River trout bite

kstonich

Fawn
Jun 7, 2011
Has anyone heard how the night bite was for trout at Laural . Thinking of heading at the next new moon.

whitleycotrapper

12 pointer
May 20, 2005
Williamsburg, KY
Haven't talked to anyone else but I e fished under the lights 3 times in the last couple months in areas where we have caught trout in the past and have only managed to catch one.

whitleycotrapper

12 pointer
May 20, 2005
Williamsburg, KY
I was catching trout during the day in the Spring right on the rocks around the dam..I'd say move out 100 yards or so and fish the deep water.

They are everywhere in the spring like that. I've fished near the dam,out toward the main lake on lines creek,
over around the cliff by grove, and down near marsh branch and out of all those trips with lights out we caught 1 trout and 2 catfish.

KYTroutJunkie

6 pointer
Mar 26, 2014
Whitley County
That is surprising....I fished bark camp the other day and caught several sunfish and bass but only one rainbow....Maybe they just aren't biting...Did you mark any fish with your fish finder?

whitleycotrapper

12 pointer
May 20, 2005
Williamsburg, KY
One of each on the catfish. They were caught in about 120 feet of water or so about 30 ft deep. Usually never had any trouble catching trout this time of year under lights. Crappie at Cherokee is a lot more appealing anymore though. We almost always catch at least something.

Last edited:

KYTroutJunkie

6 pointer
Mar 26, 2014
Whitley County
I caught one channel on a spinner bait in the Cumberland River a couple weeks ago. What part of the lake do the catfish seem to like? I'm guessing near the dam around the rocks?

whitleycotrapper

12 pointer
May 20, 2005
Williamsburg, KY
Never really got on them anywhere. I would guess up towards what I guess is called city dam up by 312 bridge. I will take back the catfish number of my last post though. One time in June me and my father in law caught about 20 channels and flatheads right near the ramp at grove on shrimp and small bluegill. Only downside is if you don't like snakes I wouldn't suggest it! We saw dozens of snakes that night we fished. All just harmless water snakes but they had no fear. We had a wire basket with small square wire and we had several large bluegill in it and they weren't shy about crawling right in and trying to help themselves.

Latest posts