Late Season Squirrel Hunting

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by JG26_Irish, Feb 5, 2020.

1. Most of my life, I only hunted squirrels in August, September and October and never went out after deer season. In recent years, I have been going out in late December, January and Feb with off and on success. Not enough experience with late season to have a feel for the best times to hunt them. I went out in mid Jan one morning and there were dozens barking at me around the 8-10am time. Went out this past weekend at the same time and did not see a one. I have been hunting the ridgetops out of habit. Later same day in the afternoon it warmed up and I was down in the river valley near home taking photos and saw two feeding next to the river and a couple more across the river.

Question: What is the best time of day to squirrel hunt in January/February?

Carl likes this.
  2. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    During the months of January - February, I normally hunted Squirrels both morning and afternoon. Warmer days are the best to hunting Squirrels. <Good Luck, in your hunting>

Carl likes this.
  3. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    When the sun is out, with above average temps. Seems to get them on the move, in my experience. I went behind the house and eased along the creek on Sunday. Got in the woods at about 10:30. Came out at 12:35 with a limit (4 fox squirrels and 2 Greys). 5 of the 6 were on the ground, rummaging. It was about 54° and sunny

Carl and barney like this.
  4. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    Sit down with a scoped .22. Woods are so open and bare they see you from a long ways off. Longer shots are the norm for me now.

Carl likes this.
  5. clovis67

clovis67 Spike

Aug 16, 2008
    I wanna go squirrel hunting really bad.... but this Monsoonal weather pattern is preventing me from getting that going.Da$$*## I wish we just had the normal wintertime weather instead of this mucky mess.

davers likes this.
  6. One plus about the rain is I can move through the woods like a silent jungle cat lol. Not just the wet ground, I used to love to use running water to sneak up close on turkey.

Carl likes this.
  7. clovis67

clovis67 Spike

Aug 16, 2008
    Just maybe I can put the ol jungle cat sneak on some of these whitetail sheds that have been eluding me... and open up a can of whoop @$$ on some of these invisible tree rats that are no shows...every time I go out hunting!

8. HuntsItAll

HuntsItAll 8 pointer

Jan 23, 2009
    A hunters paradise
    My 10yr old son has been asking me to take him squirrel hunting every weekend. But the last 4 weekends it’s been raining here... He asked me about going this weekend and I showed him the forecast... “He said can’t we just go shoot them out of our blind?? We see plenty when we’re deer hunting” I told him that he just might of had a good idea!!!

redjackson likes this.
  9. I tried to pull a fast one on the squirrels this past weekend. I called up a friend who owns a large farm 375 acres, about 15 minutes down the river from me. He has a coyote problem and I offered to come over and pop a few this weekend. I figured if I was still, I might also bag a squack or two. I was hunting with my 17 WSM which is a bit much for squirrels and a bit light for coyotes. I figured to shoot both in the heads if possible. The weather was warmer and dry but a bit too windy. Once more the squirrels failed to cooperate. Maybe the sounds of dying rabbits were too much for them.

10. clovis67

clovis67 Spike

Aug 16, 2008
    I feel your pain...We tried to put the sneak on a Treerat yesterday and OHhhh that did not work out good for us hunting.Warm for sure out walking around and I guess the wind kept the brushy tail varmints from getting out much.We hunted for better part of the afternoon and never even caught a glimpse of a squirrel.Did jump up a couple rabbits and a few deer.Great day to be out...just didn’t get to pull the trigger...but we did see a group of bucks still packin!And on a positive note..I didn’t find any ticks on me after the hunt like I have been lately..

11. clovis67

clovis67 Spike

Aug 16, 2008
    I’m going to have to break out the scuba gear I reckon if I wanna go squirrel hunting...
    Weatherman said it’s the end of time.. and the Brushytails have went on strike!

12. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    In my area beech timber is the key for about every game animal rt now. Loads of bee hunts still on the ground.

13. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    It should get better when the buds start popping out if that coincides with our season.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
  14. clovis67

clovis67 Spike

Aug 16, 2008
    i think I'm just going to go ahead and leave now and head on over to the ARK....Western Ky is turning into the Mid-Atlantic OCEAN....YEE yee...

15. clovis67

clovis67 Spike

Aug 16, 2008
    Anyone get out and go squirrel hunting today...? Was such a nice day for a change..I really wanted to go ..but I did some chores that were getting outta control.