Late season calls?

Campfire

6 pointer
Oct 24, 2019
Camp
No but last year late season best hunts I had all year. Hunt the food in afternoons. Also be few does in heat.

Ataulbe1

12 pointer
Oct 27, 2017
Estill County
Latest for me was Dec 12. Hit a grunt call and had a basket rack 10 follow a big old doe into a field edge. I shot the doe. Hard to say if my grunt had anything to do with the equation.

Little FR

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2021
West Kentucky
I still bleat some in late season (I revert back to the higher longer bleats, as I’m after doe) This far in the game the deer in my area have been pounded pretty hard with everything Primos sells including rattling. Most calls are spookers not drawers.

xbokilla

12 pointer
Jun 28, 2012
It’s been a few years now but had back to back seasons of rattling in nice bucks during late ML. Also, we’ve had like 4 straight years of late season rut behavior and activity where I hunt and from what I’ve observed hunting so far, I wouldn’t be surprised to see December blow up with rubs, scrapes, and chasing this year as well.

littlebear

12 pointer
Aug 21, 2007
the woods
Buddy of mine grunted in a small buck this afternoon to right under his stand. The buck then went across a ditch and went up a ridge so he grunted a couple more times and that buck ran back down the ridge to within 10 yds of his stand again. So it’s not to late yet for success in calling.

Ezelkyhunter

10 pointer
Nov 28, 2013
Forget calls go scout for fresh sign. Not sign, fresh sign. Find where the deer are and a call won’t matter too much.
Now I’ve grunted in some even during January or at least they came in when I grunted. but like most hunting, find where the animal or fowl is and wants be and that’s more important than anything else.

Onthedge

6 pointer
Dec 11, 2020
South East Ky
Forget calls go scout for fresh sign. Not sign, fresh sign. Find where the deer are and a call won’t matter too much.
Now I’ve grunted in some even during January or at least they came in when I grunted. but like most hunting, find where the animal or fowl is and wants be and that’s more important than anything else.
This 100%

RLWEBB

12 pointer
Nov 30, 2005
Staffordsville, KY
This 100%
Can’t kill them where they ain’t.

Little FR

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2021
West Kentucky
Can’t kill them where they ain’t.

I already know where they are not, all the stands I’ve hunted. This is when I start popping up in weird places on properties and get a new feel for their pressure adjusted movements.

Sometimes that just means sitting on a hilltop in a ghillie suit with binoculars. Finding sign is all good and well but if you know you have deer in the area, knowing “when” they are using it is most critical.