Late Muzzleloader Rut Activity?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Campfire, Nov 25, 2019.

1. bah1286

bah1286 8 pointer

Jul 29, 2014
    On Monday, me and the kids saw several bucks chasing does hard while we were out moving blinds for bow hunting. While I never see near the amount of chasing going in late season, the few times I have it is intense. Like others said, one doe is in and all the bucks in the area are in her.

2. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Late ML story...I’ve probably shared before but since we’re on the topic. Probably 6-8 years ago, we decided to go in late morning and sit til dark. I think we settled in around 10:30. Beautiful day, but cold. About 1:30, I heard deer running on the next ridge. Of course, I’m excited. Where will they pop out? Is a buck chasing them? Suddenly, 3 yearling and two does come up the hill behind my stand. All within 15-20 yds, I had my ML and xbow with me. They are very leery so I wait. Then, sure enough, a nice old mature 10pt comes right up the same path. I grab the ML and I’m like, “I’ll stop him in the clear on top of the ridge.” He steps out into the trail on top of the ridge and I grunted to stop him. Well, grunting doesn’t always work! It scared the p!$$ out of him! He literally jumped straight up and took off running clear past the does then before I could even get one of them in my sights they took off too! Saw a lot that day but nothing else close. It’s one of those moments you never forget where things go from perfect to a flop in the blink of an eye. After the woods cleared I just sat there in my little ladder stand laughing to myself thinking WTH just happened?! Good luck y’all! May all your bucks stop on a grunt and follow the script.

HuntressOfLight likes this.
  3. rlb165

rlb165 12 pointer

Dec 10, 2001

FD7A18F0-DB41-45EB-8E70-BF691A9BB097.jpeg

Campfire, there’s nothing special about this little field. It’s kinda in between our 2 food plot areas, which are about 600 yards apart.
    For some reason though, I’ve seen decent bucks locked down with does in it several times over the years. It’s always been during late ML.

Often, the doe will be bedded down, and it looks like the buck is guarding her.
    On the other hand, I only remember seeing 1 buck ever in our food plots during late ML.
    It may not work like that in other places though. We almost never see bucks here, except for the Nov and Dec rut.

Campfire likes this.
  4. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    Yes it is!!

5. Campfire

Campfire 6 pointer

Oct 24, 2019
    Camp
    Thanks. That’s interesting I may need to back off plots. I have a field similar to that in between 2 beddding areas and 300 yards or so off the plots.

rlb165 likes this.