Late Muzzleloader Rut Activity?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Campfire, Nov 25, 2019.

1. Campfire

Campfire 6 pointer

Oct 24, 2019
    Camp
    I have never hunted a lot in late muzzleloader due to a lot of family activities etc during December. I plan on hunting it this year. I have a lot of green food plots this year to hunt over or near to them. My question is for those of you who have hunted a lot in late muzzleloader how much rut activity have you typically seen during that time?

2. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Generally at least as much as I see in modern gun season.
    I see more rut Halloween week than I do in gun season. And see almost as much in December smoke pole as I do Halloween week. Cycles, I reckon.
    But I believe the increase in rut activity I see is due to less pressure that first week of November, and December muzzleloader. No doubt, most breeding occurs during gun season, but they don't mind to do it after dark either. Spooked deer are nocturnal deer

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
  3. Bohannon

Bohannon 6 pointer

Aug 29, 2017
    Floyd

Its few and far between. Not near the amount of action unless you are lucky enough to have one of the last doe to come in heat come by you

Junglekat likes this.
  4. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

You may get lucky and have a early born doe fawn come in heat in dec. If you do good chance every buck left in the area will be after her.

Junglekat likes this.
  5. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    I’ve seen excellent rutting activity during the December muzzleloader season.

davers and Drahts like this.
  6. turkeyfan

turkeyfan 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2004
    Richmond, KY
    If it’s any indication of this pass rut the Dec rut should be on fire. I just hope the full moon cycle is not during that time. The full moon 1st week of rifle after first two days I believe shifted majority of the rut to after dark. Here’s to gingers crossed ML is great.

RLWEBB likes this.
  7. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    Not every year, but I've seen some wild chasing during late MZ. Where I'm hunting everything seemed really early last year and been really late this year. Thinking it may be a good late season.

8. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    I like hunting food sources during late muzzeloader. An hope it gets cold cold so the deer gotta move. I have seen rut activity in late muzzeloader. But most does will be bred by then. There is still some good bow hunting left between now and then in my opinon. Most of the shots i had were within bow range during this years gun season. I let several good deer go by me in gun season.. Gonna led sled the muzzeloader again before it gets here there. Its time to fill the freezer.

davers and DH13 like this.
  9. wademup

wademup 12 pointer

Feb 5, 2004
    benton, ky, USA.
    I once saw 3 bucks chasing a doe hard during the second fall shotgun Turkey season , and have seen some good chasing in late muzzleloader, some years.

10. Where I hunt it is a coin toss,which spot to go to

11. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Depends on where you’re at. I’ve posted several times on here that December has been hot where we hunt the last two years. They’ve been responsive to rattling and grunting. Just had some deer sign pop up this week and hadn’t had much all year so they may do it again this year! I only get 1 or 2 days to late ML but I think it’s a great time. My dad is 77, so he’s made a few trips to the woods and he has always said late ML is Kentucky’s best time to hunt deer.

12. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Your dad is right on...most of the orange army is home tucked in their bed that time of year.

xbokilla likes this.
  13. turkeyfan

turkeyfan 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2004
    Richmond, KY
    This year the late ML is all most 3 full weeks after rifle. I believe the extra time will be good so the deer can settle down some to get back on a routine.

14. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    I have watched Bucks chase Does in January while I was Duck hunting. Does do not come in heat all at the same time.

15. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    I saw a nice Buck yesterday afternoon, near the entrance to my driveway. He was still in Rut looking for a Doe; and with December weather usually colder than rifle season, late M/L season, is a good time to bag a nice Buck.

RLWEBB likes this.