Last weekend

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by xbokilla, May 4, 2019.

1. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 8 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Ky
    I’ve been a fool few times. Not by choice. Lol. I don’t like lightning one bit. Got caught out in it. Before smart phones. Brought home a bird a few times after it was over. Good time to go afterwards.

2. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 10 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    Am dealing with this same scenario...hard to keep them interested when there is absolutely ZERO action going on.

3. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I’ve only got to go twice this season. Both times lots of gobbling early but nothing close then by 8-8:15 silence the rest of the way.

4. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I had two very close encounters in my younger days. I don't mess around with lightning.

5. Drahts

Drahts 10 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    Can count the number of gobbles I've heard in 8 days on one hand and that includes bird we killed last weekend. Was out today all I got was soaked to the bone. Saw one hen. Never heard a peep! Guess I'll be out again in the bottom of the 9th!

rockhousehunter likes this.
  6. rockhousehunter

rockhousehunter 8 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    West Liberty, Ky
    Several of us experiencing the same thing, wonder what's going on. I reckon it must be weather related or something cause I know there's birds around.

7. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    I was caught out in it once years ago. I was working a gobbler and some rain came in with some lightning. Every time that gobbler heard that thunder he would go crazy gobbling. As the storm got closer I made a run to the truck with that bird still going strong. Never did get him.

8. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    I think I had a rattler under a pile of old barn roofing metal this morning!
    I parked next to a barn and got out to listen, I had my gun loaded and everything on.
    Mother nature called so I walked over next to this pile of metal and dropped my pants, my owl Hooters fell out of my vest and hit the metal! That's when I started hearing this pecking sound from inside the pile!
    It would stop and if I made a move or noise it would start again very faint .
    When I came back from hunting I looked at it and it had several layers of metal with lots of space between them.
    I wanted to tear it apart and see if it was and kill it but it had dirt on it and some big rocks between some of the panels. We've had some dogs bitten by snakes over the last 10 yrs that got pretty darn sick from it. I think I know were it's coming from now.

9. NEVENUFFHP

NEVENUFFHP 6 pointer

Aug 9, 2002
    .Cecilia ky
    In My neck of the woods Gobbling has been Very Sparse,I did Tag out on 2 Quiet Toms, Been a Different Season for sure?

10. HappyHunter

HappyHunter 8 pointer

Sep 11, 2003
    Louisville
    This one gobbled his head off and right to me off the roost this morning. Had 2 jakes with him. It was drizzling rain off and on. Tomorrow should be good. There should be some lonely birds out there.
    79E5F611-E0BF-434D-A46A-49929E23302C.jpeg

barney, RLWEBB, Genesis 27:3 and 2 others like this.
  11. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    Good luck to all with tags to fill.

12. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    Another wet dreary morning! My boots have started to leak and I'm done unless I go this afternoon!
    Last Sunday birds gobbled in the wind all morning yesterday nothing, it been one crazy wet season and I'm glad it's about over.

13. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Just got set up about 8 here in Scott. Still a steady sprinkle. I got up and drove over. Figured I may as well try.

14. dabassking

dabassking Spike

Sep 16, 2015
    Central KY
    This is my first season chasing turkeys. Opening morning I had one closing in behind me and I got too overzealous with calling and he just turned around and walked away. That was as close as I got until yesterday morning.

Didn’t hear any gobbling at my first spot for the first hour of daylight so I got up and started walking. Got to a field and heard one gobble several 100 yards away. Crept over the rise until I could see him. He was strutting around the field edge about 300 yards away. I got down and out of his sight and snuck down the field edge to the closest little point to him in the tree line, about 150 yards from him, and started calling on my pot call.

I couldn’t see him but I set up to where as soon as he rounded the corner, he’d be in range. He would respond to yelps but wouldn’t come any closer. Went back and forth with me yelping and him gobbling for a few rounds and he never closed any distance. I decided to just cluck at him and for some reason that triggered him. He ended up coming right in to the clucks and I shot him at 35-40 yards. It was really exciting. 20.5 lbs, 10” beard, and 3/4” spurs. Not bad for my first Tom.

26B01974-0EF6-4994-9943-19069FFDB1E0.jpeg

15. turkeyhunter91

turkeyhunter91 10 pointer

Apr 3, 2007
    My dad is out this morning. I went in with him this morning and started to feel bad so I came out. When I left there was a tom and a couple hens over on the next farm. I'm hoping he gets 1. This is the first year in prob 15 years he hasn't tagged out. Which he has been really busy starting on building his new house. He missed 1 yesterday but it was a really tuff shot. He had to shoot through the door of the blind and between a fence. Good luck to everyone