LaRue County

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Austin Streicher, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Austin Streicher

Austin Streicher 6 pointer

Oct 5, 2010
    Fisherville
    Hey guys, i was just wanting to get everyones opionins on LaRue County, i'm 18 and my dad has a nice farm their with his buddy, theyve had it about 5 or 6 years, some nice deer have been SEEN on the farm, a nice 10 my dad took, i jsut wanted to see if anyone else had hunted LaRue county! thanks!

2. dray223

dray223 10 pointer

Mar 11, 2010
    Depends on where in Larue Co. I have hunted Larue for around 18 years, about 5 miles from hodgenville. Seen some really good deer come from and taken several good deer there myself.

3. TRAILMASTER

TRAILMASTER 8 pointer

Feb 12, 2004
    Nelson, Co.
    Use to hunt in the knobs of Gleanings in Larue Co. for 10 years until lost lease from timber company. Miss hunting that place.

Over the years been a lot of decent bucks taken. Big Buck numbers are getting better each and every year in the area. Only thing is there is a lot of poaching in the whole county.

Good Luck!! Have fun

4. slicked-it

slicked-it 8 pointer

Oct 20, 2008
    where at in Larue. We used to hunt off 210.....been a while. a few quality deer but nothing to write home about.

5. slickhead slayer

slickhead slayer 12 pointer

Nov 14, 2005
    VP OF ADMIN Development
    Like trailmaster said, poaching is bad. But the quality of deer is getting better. I hunt in the gleanings area, just over the Larue line in Nelson. Its definitely getting better, and seen some nice deer get killed in the area in the past few years.

6. Austin Streicher

Oct 5, 2010
    Fisherville
    I hunt right about 2 to 3 miles off the Sonora exit! Yea we've had 3 trail cams stolen and a camper , luckily that idiot was caught haha but I love it down their!

7. Redlined

Redlined 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2005
    In The Tree Next To Ya
    Good luck with that, there's no shortage of idiots down there. In fact, they're a lot like bucks, a few more will move in to take up residence where the other got nailed......

8. dray223

dray223 10 pointer

Mar 11, 2010
    I dont know what you guys are talking about, i have grown up in larue county, and hunted farms on all sides for years now. The poaching around here is no worse then anywhere else. I also hunt in Hart, and Hardin Co, they all get poached.

9. Redlined

Redlined 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2005
    In The Tree Next To Ya
    I've hunted pretty extensively around the Sonora area back toward Upton on the Larue(&Hart&Hardin) county side, and had a lease for years in Roanoke, both places were overrun with outlaws who'd steal the bark off a tree and kill whatever, whenever the thought crossed their minds. I have hunted some great places in Larue county, but it wasn't anywhere near those two spots. Seems like we spent more time running people off or rounding people up than we did hunting....

10. dray223

dray223 10 pointer

Mar 11, 2010
    Theres your answer right there, ROANOKE!

11. slickhead slayer

slickhead slayer 12 pointer

Nov 14, 2005
    VP OF ADMIN Development
    Several years ago we pulled up to our gate to see it blocked by a Fish and Wildlife truck with nobody in sight. After a few minutes a CO came out of the bushes. They had a mechanical deer down the road. Afterwards we talked to him and he said that they had never had their deer shot more than in that area. He told me later at a hunting and fishing show that they had to retrire that particular deer after that particular set up. And I am on the total opposite end of the county up in Gleanings.

12. TRAILMASTER

TRAILMASTER 8 pointer

Feb 12, 2004
    Nelson, Co.
    Yeah I know it is bad there. Those bottoms out in the middle of no where just attract drunking idiots. We use to hunt a couple miles on right passed Scotts Lane. My dad had poachers bullets hit surrounding trees near him. He was probably hunting 500 yards from the road on a field line.

13. Austin Streicher

Oct 5, 2010
    Fisherville
    Yeah i guess, but we seem to have TONS of deer on our property every year, and bout 2 to 3 reallly nice bucks! so im not complaining, just wanted to get everyone elses opinon ! Thanks Guys!

14. dray223

dray223 10 pointer

Mar 11, 2010
    good deal, and if you have a tresspasser then just run them off, if you do it the right way the first time they wont be back. Good luck

15. N3tT3chMan

N3tT3chMan Spike

Sep 10, 2009
    Louisville
    Dont mean to revive a dead thread but i hunt off levelwoods road. I just started hunting the area last year. I havnt seen a "monster" but have seen a really nice one about 3 weeks ago. Anyone else hunt that area?