Larue County

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by fast82, Feb 10, 2011.

1. fast82

fast82 6 pointer

Dec 12, 2010
    Does anyone know about the place years ago that used to charge 10dollars a day during gun season to hunt.It was a very big farm.You paid at a big old farm house.I also believe if you killed a deer you got your money back.That was where I went on my first deer hunts with my dad.Thanks for any info.

2. Valley Station

Valley Station Cyber-Hunter

Sounds like it could be the old "Peak Farm", off of Highway 31-E, between New Haven and Hodgensville, in the mouth of Thompson Hollow.

3. TRAILMASTER

TRAILMASTER 8 pointer

Feb 12, 2004
    Nelson, Co.
    Yeah sounds like I heard that too.

4. dray223

dray223 10 pointer

Mar 11, 2010
    YEa it was the peak farm, and if you killed a deer you did get your money back. For years and years we had the 1500 acreas around it leased for 1 dollar an acre or something like that. Man those were the days.

5. fast82

fast82 6 pointer

Dec 12, 2010
    I supposed you have to marry someones daughter to hunt there now.

6. dxtsniper

dxtsniper 12 pointer

Nov 7, 2009
    Turn around!
    Is she hot??? Nevermind that, is she single!

7. slickhead slayer

slickhead slayer 12 pointer

Nov 14, 2005
    VP OF ADMIN Development
    Is that Bobby Peak, or a different Peak?

8. KYBH4Life

KYBH4Life Banned

Feb 13, 2011
    I hate to bust everyone's bubble but you guys aren't missing anything there. I've been hunting there for 24 yrs and it hasn't been good hunting for about 15 yrs. We camp on the left side of Peak Hollow every year....well we used to. Used to be 8 of us...last year only me and my uncle hunted and no one camped. Years ago you used to be able to hear 10-15 shots coming from the Peak farm an hour before day light. Jim used to let a BUNCH of eastern KY cole miners hunt and those guys shot everything. As the story goes...let's see....prolly 18-20 years ago, they shot 160 deer in one weekend....with 80 button bucks in it. I could look over the holler and see all the rv's down below. The past several years we have been lucky to see 4-5 deer per season. I have 5 on the wall from it but none over 140. They used to be over-popoulated but those days are gone. My uncle got mad as heck at me once for passing up some does after he gave me land owner tags. I ate lunch and went back out and tagged some in 10 minutes. But, like I said, those days are gone. Blue tongue has been bad the last 2 yrs too.

Oh and for the record, the land next to Lincoln Boyhood Home is leased to guys from Louisville. Land to the left but further back is owned by a couple not-so-bright-guys (he drives in on his atv 10 minutes after daylight and parks it directly under his ladder stand). My uncle and his dad own 400 and 600 acres on both sides of the holler. Jim Peak's old farm is leased out too. Last time I was asked to join on it, it was around $3 per acre on 1200 acre farm. That's a lot of ground to cover when no atv's or other vehicles are allowed. My cousin and I walked back prolly 3 miles one time and never made it to the end.

9. fast82

fast82 6 pointer

Dec 12, 2010
    So you guys will let me come up there and go bowhunting???KYBH4Life

10. KYBH4Life

KYBH4Life Banned

Feb 13, 2011
    Uh....as someone has mentioned, you gotta marry into the family to be able to hunt it....no joke. My uncle who owns it lets 2 other guys he's known all his life hunt too but that's it (only one hunts it now b/c of low deer numbers). He did let a guy from Indiana hunt it one time for making a turkey hunting video...but that guy was a friend of his friend.

11. KYBH4Life

KYBH4Life Banned

Feb 13, 2011
    Well, my cousin is quite beautiful and I think she's about to graduate UK...may already be out. Other cousin is still at UK.