larger caliber centerfire

Little Scout

8 pointer
May 19, 2009
Pattyville
Looking for a larger caliber centerfire for the larger game animals. Such as Elk, Bear, and Mule deer. Any recomendations on caliber. I like a flat shooting gun with as little recoil as posible. 300 yard shots at most!

Little Scout

8 pointer
May 19, 2009
Pattyville
No I don't reload. Would like to but no more than I shoot it wouldn't be cost efective for me. I do have a neghibor that does that would probably help me work up a load. If need be.

mwezell

12 pointer
Jan 22, 2006
Auburn, KY
No I don't reload. Would like to but no more than I shoot it wouldn't be cost efective for me. I do have a neghibor that does that would probably help me work up a load. If need be.

I'm putting a .280 Ackley Improved together as a personal gun now. It's everything you need for what you describe and you can still fire factory 280 ammo in it if you need or want to. The .280AI is nearly identical to a 7mm Mag in ballistics with less recoil,better accuracy and longer barrel life. There are others of course, and a plain ol' 06 will do the job if that's more to your liking. Just my two cnts worth---Mike Ezell

stalkingbear

6 pointer
Nov 21, 2007
Marion Co
Check out the great old 35 Whelen. It offers everything you want and will reach out to 300 yards max. People that buy a 35 whelen usually don't ever sell them. It's absolutely the best non-magnum round for elk IMO.

WaterDog88

10 pointer
Jul 28, 2008
Kentucky
Go pick up one of the new model 70 feather weights. You won't want to put it down. 30-06 is an all around caliber and the right load is more accurate than it gets credit for...

duckslayer870

12 pointer
06 will kill anything in N America and most everything in Africa. Right bullets and shot placement is what its all about. 90% of the population cant comfortably or accurate shootl past 300 yards no matter what overpriced superwhacko magnum they buy. They usually develope a fear of recoil and noise subconciously and it greatly effects them. JMO.

Little Scout

8 pointer
May 19, 2009
Pattyville
I totlay agree duckslayer. I killed a buck once at 275 yards with a .270 with a 3-9x40 scope and I swore from then on I would never take another shot like that without better optics. My eyes aren't that good and neither are my nerves. So I will definantly be putting some good glass on the gun no matter what it is. What are your guys thoughts on a .308 or 7mm-08. are the ballistics not up to par or not enough knock down for the big game?

FOWLER2671

12 pointer
Sep 11, 2009
Evicted from Aintry'
I totlay agree duckslayer. I killed a buck once at 275 yards with a .270 with a 3-9x40 scope and I swore from then on I would never take another shot like that without better optics. My eyes aren't that good and neither are my nerves. So I will definantly be putting some good glass on the gun no matter what it is. What are your guys thoughts on a .308 or 7mm-08. are the ballistics not up to par or not enough knock down for the big game?

.308 or 7mm-08 would do just fine. Put a high quality bullet in it and they have plenty of knockdown. Bullet placement is key and low recoil and practice really helps that.

Had a friend that weighed over 300 pounds buy a Weatherby .300 mag which I reloaded for him. He missed several deer with it while killing others but shoots a 25-06 and does much better now.

EKYHUNTER

6 pointer
Jan 20, 2009
270, 30-06, 300 win mag or short mag....all are large claibers with some recoil...my personal gun is a browning white goold medallion a bolt 300 win mag....it does damage....well im pretty sure it will havnt shot anything besides a target yet...haha

aceoky

12 pointer
Jul 14, 2003
W KY
There is a long list that fits the game, the recoil requirement removes several of those though IMHO....

Those which will all work with minimal recoil (which is subjective) are (in no particular order really)

7mm-08 (very good under appreciated round IMO wife shoots this and very well also)

.308 With new powders and bullets it will do about anything the 30/06 will do in a shorter action (oldest son shoots this round)

30/06

All mentioned are standard rounds (not belted mags) , easy enough to find ammo for (since you don't reload you do limit some other choices). Most have manageable recoil for most anyone with a good recoil pad (the Sims pad is awesome IMHO)

Latest posts