Land ownership/leasing hunting rights

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by KTF, Oct 9, 2009.

1. KTF

KTF Fawn

Jul 9, 2005
    Been reading numerous posts on leasing pro/cons.Haven't read any landowner comments that I remember,so here are my views on this topic. Over the last 30 years ,we(wife and myself) have acquired 400 + acres.Worked our tails off raising tobacco,hay, a few rows crops along with holding down regular jobs,but paid off all the loans taken out over the years.
    Wasn't always easy,but we did it. Had to do without yearly vacations,all the new and latest toys to make payments! Is land ownership worth it?ABSOLUTLY YES!!!!
    We have spent countless hours and a good chuck of money improving property to enhance wildlife habitat .Now have good deer,turkey and small game numbers.In all these years,have never had anyone volunteer to help in any way on farm for opportunity to hunt. Come hunting season,seems everyone is your buddy.After season ,they disappear.Sometimes not even a Thank You!
    We do some leasing,which helps pay taxes and do more habitat improvement.With the tough economic times and declining farm revenues,I predict leasing will become more prevelent as farmers seach for additional revenue sources on their land.
    While some look down on leasing, it is another tool that a lot of landowners are using to help offset the high costs of providing a healthy habitat for wildlife. For me ,leasing is a viable option that helps to continue improving the land for wildlife and allows me to continue good land stewardship. Leasing may not be your cup of tea,but it's a sign of the times to come.

2. mrdux

mrdux Guest

I have leased land for deer and waterfowl hunting for over 20 years. I support any means legal that a landowner can make honest money off his property and the fruits of his labor. I lived in GA during the late 70s and EVERYBODY had their hand out. Even those who owned small farm ponds and allowed fishing from the bank asked for a couple of $$ payment. I never considered it anything other than a courtesy to pay whatever they asked for allowing me to use what is theirs. If I chose not to pay, it was my right to go down the road and try to find somebody who didn't charge. When I moved back here and told my co-workers that land leasing for hunting was coming, they said no way! I said you hide and watch!! When "their" hunting ground became locked out to them because they wouldn't pay landowners and others would, they saw that I was right. I say more power to you and your family doing what ever you wish with your farm. Those who chose not to pay can go on down the road. In this day and time of maggot lawyers crawling out from under rocks to sue landowners for liability cases that the owner had zero fault in, landowners MUST protect what is theirs.

3. RutNBuck

RutNBuck 12 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    Northern Ky
    being a landowner i understand your view
    what has been a common practice in the fall it seems all your long lost family,friends show up BUT are never there when it comes to tilling the land,sowing the seeds, mending fences etc and then most will ask if they can bring their neighbor,cousin etc...its funny at times

some years back on one of our farms i awoke to a camper parked at our gate
    i spoke with one of the trespassers (had no idea who they was) and asked him what he was doing of course he said we have permission to hunt here ..i asked him who told him that of course a cousin or a brother etc..

well i called the officer and he came on sunday he actually came right from church he asked me if he could wear my boots and those boys was skeered out of their skin...One had shot a small buck and I SWEAR he made a cut on top of the deers neck thinkn he was cutting the throat and i will never forget he had his glasses taped together like one of those geeks you see on tv well anyways the officer rounded up the posse and was issuing tickets when one of them mentioned that they had like 5 more guys gonna show up the next day of course the officer mentioned that it would be best to get in touch with them...

just this past season i had guys drive right up on me in the fields and got smart with me its never ending with more lands being used for walmarts etc, people sometimes feel that the can hunt and never be caught In todays ages im glad we have trail cams as proof... IM sure there isnt any trespassers on here but now the woods have eyes with the cams...

4. ril7572

ril7572 Cyber-Hunter

Jul 9, 2003
    Ky..
    Hard to argue with sound logic. But I'm sure some will try:rolleyes:

Leasing is a win-win for landowner and hunter. It's here to stay and that's a fact of life.

5. KY River Rat

KY River Rat 6 pointer

Jan 3, 2008
    Amen Brother!!!!! It's amazing how many friends I have this time of Year. I t really gets comical at times.

6. Foam Steak

Foam Steak 10 pointer

Jun 29, 2006
    Harrison County
    Well KTF you are nothing but a greedy rich guy trying to take advantage of poor folks. :D

7. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I think he was kidding KTF, that was why he added this-:D

8. KTF

KTF Fawn

Jul 9, 2005
    Didn't know I was rich!! Thanks for enlightening me.Hat size increased 3 sizes.For sure ,I am greedy.Put 3 pork chops on plate,I want a least 2 of them.:D

9. beards-n-bone

beards-n-bone 10 pointer

Nov 12, 2008
    Pulaski Co.
    All the above posts are true. But remember this......as long as access to decent hunting land decreases, hunter numbers will also continue to decline. Brokering (aka leasing pimps:D) drive up leasing prices for sure, to no benefit to the landowner......this will come to an end as more and more landowners realize they can post their own land to lease and their phone will ring off the hook. Fertilizer prices, diesel prices, ect make it harder and harder for farmers to get by. Leasing supplements their incomes and you cant blame them for this.

10. dpowers

dpowers 6 pointer

Jun 26, 2009
    Shelbyville
    I am waiting to see what happens when a big lawsuit happens because someone gets hurt on leased land.

Dave

11. RutNBuck

RutNBuck 12 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    Northern Ky
    dpowers any and most land owners that lease usually draw up some kind of an agreement..or a consent form its a shame when a good ole hand shake isnt worth its value anymore

12. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    It used to be that farmers wanted hunters to come on their land and shoot the deer so they wouldnt eat all their crops. So the farmer was getting something out of the deal also. I can remember some old farmers saying "shoot'em all". While I can respect the farmers need to pay bills, I also can also see the farmers getting a benefit from the hunter. The part thats bad for some is they get pushed out in the price war that leasing has become. Just cost too much. I would trade work anytime for a right to hunt, although I also have a job and family, I can't work full time for a farmer but I see no problem helping out with some jobs.

13. plowboy

plowboy 10 pointer

Amen brother. Fascinates me how dumb some people can be. I for one am fortunate enough to have a friend that allows me to hunt on his property and does not charge me anything. I never hesitate to jump on the tractor and start bush hogging, clearing access roads, whatever is needed. He never fails to tell me how much he appreciates what I have done, even though I keep telling him that he just doesn't know how much I appreciate the opportunity to hunt and that no thank you's are needed. All of us who have that kind of opportunity should be willing to bust butt to help out on the land.

14. capnball45

capnball45 6 pointer

Jun 13, 2009
    Lexington KY
    Living in Lexington and being in the middle of throughbred country doesnt make for a lot of land for hunting. I hunted for years on WMA's, Kleber, Green River, Cumberland Lake, Fleming, Clay, Central KY, Taylorsville, just couldnt find a good private place to hunt. 1996 I, my dad and brothers bought land in Nicholas county. The answer to the future of hunting is either lease land or buy land, either way youre gonna have to pay to hunt. In Texas most hunting is by lease, alot of western land is by lease. WMA's are getting more restricted each year, so even public land is severely limited to hunting. Down south there are a lot of hunting preserves, even here in Ky there are a lot of hunting preserves. This is the future of hunting. As a landowner, I still use preserves for most of my quail and pheasant hunting. If you can swing it any way, buy your own land instead of paying for someone else's.

15. randy grider

randy grider 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Burgin, KY
    I own land, and for the first 1/3 of my adult life made my living on the farm, now its part time farming but still, like he said, nobody has helped me pay for the land,keep it up, or pay taxes and insurance, so guess what, nobody is helping me kill the game off of it.
    I have a limited amount though. If someone were to pitch in on a 400 ascre farm, they surely would have hunting rights.
    I feel sorry for folks that can't afford to lease, and I reckon i'm one of 'em, which is why I hunt public land when I can get away. Thats always an option.