Land of 1000 elk.

Discussion in 'Elk Hunting' started by bgkyarcher, Dec 15, 2014.

1. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    You've got a three way relationship between KDFWR, local politicians, and mineland owners. Nobody wants to be the one to make the locals mad. KDFWR don't want their elk poached, miners don't want their equipment burned, pols don't want to lose votes.

2. shortbeard

shortbeard Fawn

Nov 29, 2009
    eastern Kentucky
    I have until January 19th

3. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Time running out. Reach out for help. Good luck.

4. jayder85

jayder85 10 pointer

Being the right hand man of LMO, I would have thought you would have been the help so he wouldn't have to reach out further. Way to go!

BTW- I know this is an old thread but sometimes a guy. Has to reminisce.

5. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    You have a point in this post?

6. bourbon

bourbon Banned

May 16, 2015
    Is Little Hurley ok? Heard he was sick.

7. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Hurley Jr is doing a lot better. He's had a rough road since his surgery, but he's getting better each day. Talked to him last night, and he was much improved. Be back good as new soon.

8. PYseeker

PYseeker 6 pointer

May 19, 2015
    Without reading every single post on this thread I will add my 2 cents. Everyone wants to bash KDFW but aren't they the ones that brought the elk back in the first place? Because the success rate dropped a tad this past season doesn't mean the elk herd is in trouble, it happens with deer seasons too? should we decrease harvest of deer when that happens? The point of the elk hunt is not so 100% can kill an elk, that would be shooting, not hunting. i got drawn this year, I'm looking forward to chasing elk east of the mississippi river and I thank the KDFW for everything they are doing. A side note, I will not be paying a guide service to hunt. I feel like the guides are the ones bringing a diservice to the elk hunting in the state, call it greed, but I hope that this new program KDFW is implementing for large land owners to open up properties to hunters in turn for a landowner tag weeds out some of these so called guides services! Just my 2 cents.