Land of 1000 elk.

Discussion in 'Elk Hunting' started by bgkyarcher, Dec 15, 2014.

1. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    First I've heard of trading elk for grouse but then a lot goes on I don't know about. If true, it'll be a sure thing that grouse won't be released on private property.

2. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Well, I took a beating last night. I'm glad nobody got out of hand and none got a vacation from the site. Nutcase, I'm not promoting LMO. I'm not making any money. Hell, I've spent quite a bit. I will be glad to spend more should I ever get lucky and draw again. Trust me hit on a great point. KDFWR estimated poaching loss at 1%. Seriously? I'd bet it is more like 20%. I have been over there a lot more than 3-4 times over the last 3 years. The numbers in the LEA area are drastically down. I saw a big drop in 2013, and an even bigger drop this year. Maybe they moved to another area. I don't know. I can come off as a know-it-all at times, and I apologize for that. I just want what's best for our elk herd. The quality of bulls has dropped tremendously. I saw herd bulls this year and last year that were under 300 inches. Those bulls kept there herd throughout the season. And you're right about the money. KDFWR doesn't want to give up the lost revenue if they reduce the tags. Nutcase, in my opinion, you either owe Hurley an apology, or a phone call after your statements about their shady practices.

3. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    As of this morning, 140 cows have been killed. 3 cows killed yesterday. For the season, 55 bulls and 35 cows have been killed on PUBLIC LAND all season. 140 cows out of a possible 520 thus far. Just a shade over 25% success on cows. 230 more hunters begin their cow hunt this Saturday.

4. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    Greenup, ky, USA.
    If it happens it will be a catastrophic failure for hunters and there dollars . But on the bright side it would be a golden corral style buffet for the predators.[emoji2]

5. KYT

KYT 8 pointer

May 3, 2008
    Eastern Ky.
    First, make no mistake, KYFW knows far more about the condition of the elk herd than any outfitter. They look at the whole 16 county area, not one section. I have no doubt that there are more elk than are apparent, especially this year, when elk had a huge crop of acorns to lure them out of their normal pockets and spread them out. Hunting and scouting has evolved in this state to what you can see from a road or 4 wheeler trail. Few people, including outfitters, venture far from them. If they did, they would find more elk.

6. nutcase

nutcase 8 pointer

Sep 27, 2004
    Murray, Ky
    Like I said BG, I trust the people that came to me with opinions and ideas on the outfitters and the elk herd. I also stated and will again for the record that at no time was I told about any outfitter doing anything illegal Hurley and Lmo included. So if that was wrongly interpreted from my post last night, my apologies.

7. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    How else is this supposed to be interpreted?

8. birdshooter

birdshooter 6 pointer

Jan 22, 2012
    Greenup Ky
    There have been talks with KDFW and WIs DNR about trading elk for grouse. Unfortunately discussions I have had with biologist from RGS says this will be a big waste because the grouse will not survive the stress from capture and transporting from Wis to here. They said it would be possible to have as high as a 95% mortally from this trade. I sure KDFW officials will have a way to dispute these facts and I hope they have a proven plan for we definitely need the grouse. Maybe Wis will throw in a few wolfs for a bonus in this deal to help manage our deer and elk herd like they have.

9. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    I've pestered various KDFWR personnel about this in the past, and they confirm that most will die in route and the rest will die shortly thereafter. If they do this project, it's just to shut up a bunch of complaining grouse hunters.

10. I have been to Elk country. And While I was not successful, Mostly due to my wife that accompanied me and getting sick and cutting my hunt short, I had a great time. Fellow hunter invited me there, no charge at all and showed me top place to hunt. I won't disclose who he is but I want to thank him again for some awesome hospitality and you know who you are. :) I'll go back when I get drawn again. :)

11. buckfever

buckfever 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2002
    Harrods Creek Ky, USA.
    Here's my opinion in a nutshell:

If the herd is floundering because of hunting pressure, changes might include reducing landowner tags (or commissioner's tags), limiting or eliminating the use of guides (since guides are apparently very effective and have a much higher success % than a DIY hunter), and/or ending the stocking programs with other states. However, whatever action KDFWR takes should not include penalizing the public hunter by reducing the available tags. The primary goal of KDFWR should be to insure that the number of public tags stays the same (or goes up).

12. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    I've heard that when drawn, the dept sends out a packet with info you need to know and also include a list of guides. Is that correct?

13. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Pretty much yes

14. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Do cows like acorns more than Bulls?

15. Rage2

Rage2 6 pointer

Aug 18, 2008
    SOMERSET KY
    Buckfever or should I call you Ballard Rogers which I prefer.. I do agree with you as far as ending the giveaway elk to other states and I feel kdfw have done that at this point. What's 1 yr going to hurt if we play conservative because we think Nobers are down. It's just 100 cow tags. We are not going to fill that many this yr.. So let's let this play out and if we have the elk great , they can bump numbers back up.. But all lucky winners at the point there name is drawn as far as Iam concerned there a public hunting permits.. Now it's the hunters choice to decide if they want to hire a guide .. No one makes anyone hire a guide.. Out of 1000 tags on 25 % book with a guide.. Now we -(LMO ) do take several.. Well last year we took 72 total all being from 4 diff units.. That being the most out of all outfitters. Now I just don't understand why you want to hold back or take away outfitters???? We play a major roll in wound loss and such.. I as a outfitter do not lower a DIY hunters chance.. I don't hunt public ground... It sucks for that matter and kdfw are working hard to obtain more acces for that reason.. It's tough and tracts of land are diff in east ky.. Now with that being said I think it passed for a bonus system for land owners to gain points - 20 total pts will get that land owner a tag- either sex.. So maybe this will help gain access.. I am not sure it time will tell.. But the kdfw are trying to gain more for people like yourself ... How many times have you been to elk country and visited all the public ground...??! Guide are needed bottom line and we do the work of obtaining land and staying with the herds.. Guides should have a high success rate.. We have guys out in the field everyday .