Land of 1000 elk.

Discussion in 'Elk Hunting' started by bgkyarcher, Dec 15, 2014.

1. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    Don't go interjecting your fancy logic into this discussion, GSP.

2. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Can't argue with that logic.

3. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Oh, I misunderstood... I thought you meant statewide.

4. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    LMO is the most successful outfitter, that is without question. The very fact that they only took 10 cow hunters for the first week speaks volumes. They turned down more than that, for the first week alone. Hurley had calls and texts Saturday and Sunday.... Do you live over there?

5. GSP

GSP 14 Pointer Staff Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    Everyone does know that there will be 100 fewer tags drawn for next year because of the guides complaining don't they? They were asking for a 500 tag reduction. KDFWR says we are good at 1000, but we are only going to get 900 tags..........

6. keith meador

keith meador Got the Spotted Fever

With the decline in elk numbers, I'm opting out next year. I will by applying for the 2015 KY Mountain lion lotto.

7. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    That's not even a band aid....

8. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I can't wait.

9. screamin6x6

screamin6x6 BBBC Members

Actually there have been, and are, other very successful elk outfitters around. ;)

10. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Oh yes, several are quite successful. Just not as successful as LMO. Not putting any of them down, but the numbers don't lie. They were looking for cows too. It's just hard to find a cow now.

11. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    Hurrah!

More of that fancy logic!

12. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Appears someone has a beef with guides. Please continue your rant.

13. nutcase

nutcase 8 pointer

Sep 27, 2004
    Murray, Ky
    Not a beef, I've worked with them, for them, and now against them, they take, take, and take like locust moving from one area to another all in the name of money. The kdfwr need to better regulate these entities and make them pay for our conservation efforts that they profit from

14. buckfever

buckfever 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2002
    Harrods Creek Ky, USA.
    This has always been the problem. Kdfwr, via Hensley & Orr et al., stocked public animals on private land. Then they gave the Kdfwr buddies all got landowner bull elk tags. I'm sure they also make a tidy little profit by allowing the outfitters to guide on their property. Win, win, win for the insiders.

15. buckfever

buckfever 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2002
    Harrods Creek Ky, USA.
    First, it was Hensley trying to give more landowner tags.

Next, he tried to cut the public tags.

Now, we've got the for-hire guides trying to screw over the public hunter by also reducing the number of available tags. I'm with GSP. Either stop paid guides completely or severely limit the number of hunters they can guide.

Landowners can and often micro-manage harvest levels on their property. Since guides like LMO are too damned good and obviously are unwilling to limit the harvest voluntarily for the good of the herd, Kdfwr should step in and regulate them accordingly.