Lake Fork

Amberjack

Spike
Aug 27, 2006
South Louisiana
I have been there several times......never could get that one in double digits but lots of fish in the 6lb. to 8 lb. range. I can make a few calls to some friends up there and see what the fish are doing. PM me when it gets close and i can get you a report.

pastorbass

6 pointer
Apr 1, 2007
Liberty, KY - Casey County
Amberjack, do you know any other good fishing around. I am planning on working the Fishers of Men national championship on red river in Shreveport. I think it is the week after the Classic. My plan is to go down early, detour to Lake Fork, then of course fish the red river and maybe hit up another good fishery on my way back to Kentucky.

Come on str8shot, we might can find room for you somewhere :)

Amberjack

Spike
Aug 27, 2006
South Louisiana
Hope you have plenty of time. Lake Fork is about a 3 hour or better ride from Shreveport. There are plenty of great places to fish around there,but Red River is one of the best (fish numbers) . I take it yall will be out of pool 5 ? Pool 3 & 4 are also outstanding. Ask about the JUNGLE when you get to Red River,we catch alot of big fish in there this time of the year. Toledo Bend is only about 2 1/2 hours from there......I know some guys that caught 3 over 9lbs in the past few weeks.You also have Lake Claiborn, Caney Lake. What are the dates you are coming down?

FG

6 pointer
Aug 30, 2002
I lived in Shreveport for 6 years and my parents had a place on lake Fork. It is about 2.5 hours from Shreveport. The fishing that time of year is good, but the lake gets a ton of pressure. There are several lakes around shreveport that hold fish.

lake Bisteineau is just south of Bossier City and has some fish. Water is pretty stained, but full of cypress trees. Caddo lake is North of Town and also holds soem prety good fish. A lot of sucken structure - oil rigs. Be careful. East of town tehr are a few lakes near Ruston that hold some nice fish. Cross lake basically in town and may hold fish. It is not your typical louisiana lake in that it is deep for the area. North of Bossier there is a small lake with some good fishing in benton, but you need a boat permit.

I am not sure how far off you wnat to travel, but a new lake with some pretty good fishing is Monticello lake in Monticello arkansas. it is small, gets some pressure, but the y are pulling some pretty big fish out of it. it is about 3 hours and can be hit on the trip home. lake Chicoh is another Arkansas lake I have had some luck on that is about an hour east of Monticello and 3.5 hours from Shreveport.

While not as much water as South Louisiana, there are a ton of lakes in teh are to fish and plenty of spots accross south Arkansas. The Basspro in Shreveport may be a good place to look around for info.

One of the big differences with many of the lakes down there are teh channels. it is easy to get turned around and everything looks like a good fishing spot.

If you have time and want a real treat, run down to th coast and go redfishing. I will be down tehre in march for a quick trip.