Ladder stands

Strut 'N' Buck

10 pointer
Apr 16, 2011
Shepherdsville, KY
I hang mine with the ladder to the stand slightly angled towards the tree if that makes sense. That allows the seat of the stand to be either straight when you sit down or angled back just slightly and also allows you to climb the ladder to put the strap on with your weight going towards the tree rather than away from it. Hope this makes sense. Kind of hard to explain. I’m sure it’s not the most safest way to do it but it’s always worked for me.

kyhunter99

12 pointer
Dec 21, 2014
Still in the kitchen Ky
Walmart carries a stand now that uses locking Jaws, literally based off Lockjawz stands.
You erect the ladder stand and from the ground you can tighten the Jaws around the tree at the top of the stand.
I think realtree makes it sells for $98.
I'd pay it.

muddhunter

12 pointer
Oct 18, 2005
louisville
i will prop the stand up against the tree and attach a ratchet strap to the ladder around the tree about 3 rungs up. then i will attach the support pole. then i attach another ratchet strap about two or three rungs above the support pole. by then it is as sturdy as its going to get. I will go ahead and get on the platform and attach it. as i come back down i will undo the last ratchet strap and incorporate the one that came with the stand at the support pole. get the last strap after i hit the ground. or if you like and you have ratchet straps coming out of your wazoo, you can just leave them attached. its a couple extra steps but its quicker than a trip to the ER.

ojibwa62

12 pointer
Jul 1, 2018
NOTW
i will prop the stand up against the tree and attach a ratchet strap to the ladder around the tree about 3 rungs up. then i will attach the support pole. then i attach another ratchet strap about two or three rungs above the support pole. by then it is as sturdy as its going to get. I will go ahead and get on the platform and attach it. as i come back down i will undo the last ratchet strap and incorporate the one that came with the stand at the support pole. get the last strap after i hit the ground. or if you like and you have ratchet straps coming out of your wazoo, you can just leave them attached. its a couple extra steps but its quicker than a trip to the ER.
I do it the same way..

luvtohunt

10 pointer
Sep 1, 2011
Eubank, Ky
I don't hunt out of them much but must admit that I have taken that scary ride to the ground on a couple half way up the ladder because I thought it was secure and rolled to one side or the other. I'm 215 and not so graceful lol. I wouldn't put one up these days without a ladder or the locking jaws at top myself.

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
If I do hang a ladder, and don't have a separate ladder with me, I lean against the tree, so the platform is level, or slightly leaning back. I attach the support bar to the tree, then put a ratchet strap around the tree about 8 feet up. Once that is secured, it isn't going anywhere....

Latest posts