Ladder stands

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by columbia whitetail, Oct 22, 2019.

1. columbia whitetail

columbia whitetail 8 pointer

Nov 3, 2009
    columbia
    Tell me you process of hanging one. Do you use another ladder to strap it on or do you risk climbing up the ladder on the stand?

Chilly likes this.
  2. Strut 'N' Buck

Strut 'N' Buck 8 pointer

Apr 16, 2011
    Shepherdsville, KY
    I hang mine with the ladder to the stand slightly angled towards the tree if that makes sense. That allows the seat of the stand to be either straight when you sit down or angled back just slightly and also allows you to climb the ladder to put the strap on with your weight going towards the tree rather than away from it. Hope this makes sense. Kind of hard to explain. I’m sure it’s not the most safest way to do it but it’s always worked for me.

jblack1 likes this.
  3. rme hunter

rme hunter 8 pointer

Dec 1, 2006
    Breckinridge County
    Have you already purchased a stand? There are several companies that now have the jaw system to locks to the tree prior to you ever climbing. We use Xstand but there are others.

kyhunter99 likes this.
  4. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 12 pointer

Dec 21, 2014
    Probably in the kitchen Ky
    Walmart carries a stand now that uses locking Jaws, literally based off Lockjawz stands.
    You erect the ladder stand and from the ground you can tighten the Jaws around the tree at the top of the stand.
    I think realtree makes it sells for $98.
    I'd pay it.

5. columbia whitetail

Nov 3, 2009
    columbia
    Haven’t purchased one yet. Does the jaw system help keep it fairly stable while climbing?

6. columbia whitetail

Nov 3, 2009
    columbia
    Do you know how tall it is?

7. columbia whitetail

Nov 3, 2009
    columbia
    Which ones do you use?

8. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Had one and never installed the "jaws". I just tie two long straps to each corner of the stand, cross wrap the tree and pull tight. Always been stable when climbing to put on ratchet strap.

TripleGee, hunt, MoMan and 1 other person like this.
  9. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    i will prop the stand up against the tree and attach a ratchet strap to the ladder around the tree about 3 rungs up. then i will attach the support pole. then i attach another ratchet strap about two or three rungs above the support pole. by then it is as sturdy as its going to get. I will go ahead and get on the platform and attach it. as i come back down i will undo the last ratchet strap and incorporate the one that came with the stand at the support pole. get the last strap after i hit the ground. or if you like and you have ratchet straps coming out of your wazoo, you can just leave them attached. its a couple extra steps but its quicker than a trip to the ER.

ojibwa62 and RLWEBB like this.
  10. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    I do it the same way..

11. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 10 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    I don't hunt out of them much but must admit that I have taken that scary ride to the ground on a couple half way up the ladder because I thought it was secure and rolled to one side or the other. I'm 215 and not so graceful lol. I wouldn't put one up these days without a ladder or the locking jaws at top myself.

12. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I started using a separate ladder to attach it to the tree. Easier, and safer.

13. Todd H

Todd H 6 pointer

Nov 7, 2011
    South Central, KY
    Lean it up fully assembled and stand on tractor roof...that's how we do ladder stands

14. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    If I do hang a ladder, and don't have a separate ladder with me, I lean against the tree, so the platform is level, or slightly leaning back. I attach the support bar to the tree, then put a ratchet strap around the tree about 8 feet up. Once that is secured, it isn't going anywhere....

invasion36 and ojibwa62 like this.
  15. rme hunter

rme hunter 8 pointer

Dec 1, 2006
    Breckinridge County
    We use the Duke, I have probably 30 of them up and have never had an issue. They are very secure once the jaws close on a tree. You won't be disappointed.

invasion36 likes this.