Lacrosse or Muck Boots?

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by Quailtail, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Quailtail

Quailtail Spike

Oct 3, 2006
    Versailles KY
    Was in Wisconsin last week. Ran into some swamps. A lot of swamps. Feet did not get wet but I looked like a ballerina at times tip toeing from one grassy spot to another. Do not have a pair of rubber boots. After I got home I started looking at the Lacrosse Burley along with I think one called Arrowhead or something by Lacrosse. Also the Muck boots.

Any suggestions as to which one to buy? Not going back up there without a good pair of rubber boots. Could have saved a lot of steps if I did not have to worry about getting my feet wet.

2. grouseguy

grouseguy 12 pointer

I'm on my 3rd pair of Burley's. I really like their fitted ankles for long walks.

3. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    I agree. They work in the swamps of Western KY for me. I have customs orthotics that I have to allow for when getting the right size, but they still fit me good. I also like that they are 18" tall if the need arises. I figure I've been wearing Lacrosse for about 20 years or so.

Edit to add: Mine are the classic-style green Burly boots.

4. woodhippy

woodhippy 6 pointer

Nov 11, 2003
    Marion County
    Anywhere in the us that sells these ?

5. Coot_Meurer

Coot_Meurer 10 pointer

Nov 4, 2006
    Not here anymore
    Huge fan of the Lacrosse Grange (uninsulated) and also the burley (insulated). Have worn them everywhere from coastal swamps here in NC to the tops of mountains in the Scottish Highlands. Also wear them daily around the farm. On a plus note, I have been snake struck twice, without penetration and one of those times was in Granges. I also bought and tried a pair of the lacrosse aroheads and they were not good. Boot started cracking and leaking within a year. Tried the mucks but the neoprene made them too hot for me - I really like the Grange unless it it extremely cold out.

6. KY Swamp Beagler

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    I've had the Grange, too. I liked them. For some reason I've found the Burly's easier to come by in Paducah than the Grange.

Coot_Meurer likes this.
  7. mountain hunter

mountain hunter Spike

Jan 17, 2010
    Bell County Ky
    I don't know much about the Lacrosse boots as I never have wore a pare. I will say that the much boots are some of the best boots I have ever worn. They are comfortable and fit good and the boots for cold weather work great or at least they do in my experience. I would recommend muck boots for anybody. The wetland boots are good for warmer weather and they have a number of different varieties that are insulated. Good luck finding watch you want.

8. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 10 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    I'm a lacrosse guy too. I have had the grange and alpha burly both. I do al my outdoor stuff in these boots from weed eating to rabbit hunting. I treat them pretty rough and usually get 3 years out of a pair before I need to replace. I test them every 6 months or so by standing in the creek in water about 12 inches up. No leaks, boots are still good. They leak, I replace.

Coot_Meurer likes this.
  9. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    Lacrosse. Mucks are hot. Buy the burleys or granges and you can wear two pair of socks if it is real cold out.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
    Coot_Meurer likes this.
  10. KY Swamp Beagler

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    With the Lacrosse boots I prefer the old-style rubber versus the neoprene Alphas. Rubber seemed to hold up better while rabbit hunting.

I used tire patches on a pair of 800 gram thinsulate Burlys when they got a hole in them. They lasted for years like that.

Coot_Meurer likes this.
  11. danf26

danf26 8 pointer

Nov 5, 2009
    southeastky
    anything but muck, they donate money to anti- hunting peta groups

12. KY Swamp Beagler

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
  13. Bladefoot

Bladefoot 6 pointer

Dec 6, 2010
    Goodlow Slough
    I have never worn a pair of muck boots so I cant comment on them. Lacrosse boots I have worn for years and they have always been good boots. My son got me a pair about 8 or 9 years ago and they are still going strong. Do they still make the old Northerners? Bladefoot

14. Semp

Semp 10 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Kaintukee
    I've had Muck and Lacrosse over the years. I like the Woody Max muck boots the best for cold weather.

15. uplandchessies

uplandchessies 10 pointer

Mar 20, 2002
    Florence, Ky, USA.
    Look at Under Armour. You won't find a more comfortable rubber boot out there. Have worn mine in the morning for ducks in MI and finished the day chasing grouse and woodcock. They have become my go-to boot because of the comfort and ease of putting them on (no laces) at the beginning of a hunt. Lacrosse are good, but your feet will suffer with each mile in the uplands.