HuntressOfLight

12 pointer
Nov 23, 2019
Guarding my lovely bluebirds
20220627_070348.jpg
20220627_070926.jpg
20220627_071012.jpg

Honeybee on spiderwort

I was thinking the same thing a few weeks ago but the honey bees were probably thicker then I've ever seen when I was mowing yesterday. My back yard is a tad over an acre and is covered in with white clover and it seemed like every bloom had a bee on it. I actually stopped mowing until almost dark to stop from killing them. Never felt the need to do that before.

I always watch for them in clover when I’m mowing, not enough around as it is without intentionally killing them.

Drahts

12 pointer
Apr 7, 2015
KY
All the rain missed me over the weekend til @3:45am this morning. Then in an hour and 20 minutes we got 1.3".
I'd rather had a nice gentle 2 day rain but I'll take what the Good Lord gives us. I know my Buckwheat field needed it, we had gotten dry and I only planted it 2 weeks or so ago. I had to drag out 300 feet of hose for the garden yesterday. So now I know the trick, water the garden and it will rain.

HuntressOfLight

12 pointer
Nov 23, 2019
All the rain missed me over the weekend til @3:45am this morning. Then in an hour and 20 minutes we got 1.3".
I'd rather had a nice gentle 2 day rain but I'll take what the Good Lord gives us. I know my Buckwheat field needed it, we had gotten dry and I only planted it 2 weeks or so ago. I had to drag out 300 feet of hose for the garden yesterday. So now I know the trick, water the garden and it will rain.

Don't feel badly. Exact same water hose trick occurred to me with all. I'm sure it didn't hurt anything other than the bank account.

Brown Dogs Matter

12 pointer
Jun 7, 2004
Louisville, KY.
My two hives are doing well enough that we split one yesterday. Gave it to another keeper, since we don't have any other hives at the moment. Plus, we have a VERY large hive - or multiple hives - in an outbuilding that have been there a decade or so before we bought the place. We also heard a swarm in the woods but were unable to track it down yet.

00noturkey

12 pointer
Oct 31, 2011
High Grove

HuntressOfLight

12 pointer
Nov 23, 2019
Cuckoo bee looks like what I saw, and this interesting article contains photos of non-bee look-a-likes, one somewhat resembling the shape and some of the pieces parts of my white-faced, black critter up there. Those are big critters.

Bee-fly
Bombylius-major.jpg

Last edited: