Labs vs. Pointers

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by MatthewEitutis, Oct 14, 2009.

1. MatthewEitutis

MatthewEitutis 6 pointer

Sep 8, 2009
    Etown Ky
    All. Hunted opener for SD phes again up here and we had quite a few birds that our dogs walked right by. We were running labs that work close and are patient and locked in all day. Do any of you all have comments on preference of dog when it comes to actually finding the birds? Pref on noses/eyes of labs vs. pointers?

2. jrfrmn

jrfrmn Fawn

Dec 23, 2005
    Labs vs Pointers

By a good Springer Spaniel.

English and Canadian bloodline.

3. BurleyDog

BurleyDog 10 pointer

Jul 4, 2007
    Labs 100% all the way. No better upland dogs IMO

has it been dry or extremely windy up there? Sometimes that messes with a dogs nose.... were your dogs (sorry about this) "dog tired"

4. uplandchessies

uplandchessies 10 pointer

Mar 20, 2002
    Florence, Ky, USA.
    Has more to do with experience and exposure to birds than breed of dog.

5. MatthewEitutis

MatthewEitutis 6 pointer

Sep 8, 2009
    Etown Ky
    perfect conditions

there was lil to no wind at 6mph and it had snowed.

6. wildcovey

wildcovey 6 pointer

Dec 9, 2008
    webster ky
    pointers

pointers 100% for upland hunting :).good hunting.

7. olducker

olducker 8 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Chandler IN

Hey,, we do have pointing Labs to ,,,#1 AKC and UKC They can do it all .:D

8. brettfrancis1

brettfrancis1 6 pointer

Oct 26, 2006
    Danville, KY
    A pointing Lab is about as awkward as my Pointer retreiving geese. The day I see a lab work better than my pointer I'll change my mind. Probably not for a long time.

9. grouseguy

grouseguy 12 pointer

After experiencing a couple of days of following labs in search of grouse in Northern WI (these were guided hunts where the clients INSISTED on using their own dogs), I can honestly say, that if I had to hunt upland birds behind a lab, I'd take up GOLF ... and I DESPISE the game of golf!!! :eek:;):cool::confused:

10. wildcovey

wildcovey 6 pointer

Dec 9, 2008
    webster ky
    pointing labs

amen to that brett and grouseguy!labs are great for retrieving no dought but because and this is not to down any dog at all but pointing labs is just a name like labradoodle being registered in akc does't mean they have been tested for any kind of performance but for appearance only.good dogs but not for upland imo.pointers 100%

11. uplandchessies

Mar 20, 2002
    Florence, Ky, USA.
    Tested for performance, as in field trial/hunt tests? Met a lot of titled/championship pointer/flushers that would have been better off left in the truck.

12. jeff

jeff 8 pointer

Dec 15, 2004
    E-Town ky
    As long as your dog is doing want you want it to do and your happy, the HELL :eek:with what other people say!;) If your pointer points birds, you shoot, dog points-dead bird, you go pick it up and are happy, you have a good dog. You have a Lab, finds some birds (not all birds in field) you shoot and he brings them back to you and your happy, you have a good dog. A person should decide what they want a dog to do before getting it and how much time they are willing to spend training it to get it where they want it to be (or how $$ sending it to a trainer). A good breeder can help you decide what you looking for (he will not sell you a dog knowing it's not what your looking for).

Good link on getting a dog:
    http://www.vommoorehaus.com/how_to_buy_a_gun_dog.htm

13. capnball45

capnball45 6 pointer

Jun 13, 2009
    Lexington KY
    I like the english setters for upland birds, and to find a good pup, just throw a bird feather in the kennel and get the one that locks on point.

14. jrfrmn

jrfrmn Fawn

Dec 23, 2005
    Labs

What were these dogs doing? Springer spaniels will hunt circles around a Lab.

15. uplandchessies

Mar 20, 2002
    Florence, Ky, USA.
    I'll be picking up my springer pup this Friday, but wouldn't say springers will hunt circles around a Lab (or any other breed). My buddy in Oregon has a really good Lab (and a springer, too) and has had many pointer owners (chukar hunters) offer him money for Raven. Pat Wray (author of A Chukar Hunters Companion) even asked if my buddy was going to breed her.

Everyone puts too much faith in breed and everyone has the best bird dog.