KY vs. Western U.S.

Discussion in 'Elk Hunting' started by BULL MOOSE, May 8, 2021.

1. BULL MOOSE

BULL MOOSE 6 pointer

Dec 13, 2001
    Cartersville, GA, USA.
    I have hunted New Mexico and Montana for elk. It can be rough and steep to gently rolling habitat.

For those lucky enough to have hunted elk in eastern KY and western US areas, how would you compare the experience?

Last edited: May 8, 2021
  2. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    I found out the first day in East Ky I didn't need to carry binos. Too dang thick where I was.

Last edited: May 8, 2021
    littlebear likes this.
  3. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    I prefer out west as compared to ky elk hunting. Don’t get me wrong I’ve enjoyed all the elk trips out to eky to chase elk but it’s much different out west. The remote areas out west are unreal. Like @1wildcatfan stated glassing out west is on a different level. If I had to pick between them and pay several thousand on an elk trip I believe it would be out west. Any chance chasing elk no matter where is a blast to me but anyone thats not chased a bull out west in the Rockies is missing out. Great adventure.

4. HeadedWest

HeadedWest 8 pointer

Nov 22, 2016
    If you can hike in the EKy hills, you can hike anywhere I’ve hunted in CO…

RLWEBB and bondhu like this.
  5. kyduck1

kyduck1 6 pointer

Apr 9, 2012
    Completely different experience. East KY be ready for some company most days after daylight. Lots of people riding the roads with quads, trucks etc. People let their horses and cows run around on some of the old coal mine property.
    It's pretty cool to kill an elk in KY but I would 100 percent rather hunt them out west than here.

riverboss, xbokilla and carnivore like this.
  6. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Ky elk hunting is its own thing and glad i have been fortunate to draw, plus hunt with several with friends that had tags. Access is limited and those properties get crowded with miners, horses, horse dumpers, loggers, atv riders, other guides, elk traps placed where you are hunting by KDFWR, and other hunters of all types.
    Ky was a bargain in the past but for what guides here cost now, the elk population falling, and the DIY access being pretty abysmal theres just no comparison. Out west for sure.

7. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I’ve never hunted out west. Too frugal. But I need to fix that.

8. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    You should go it’s a great trip out west. You can do a diy hunt very reasonable on cost

1wildcatfan and riverboss like this.
  9. Tankt

Tankt 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2019
    Kentucky
    Especially if split with another person

carnivore likes this.
  10. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    been 2 times seen some beautiful country and had some great experiences, nothing like waking up in Colorado and experiencing God's beauty!

davers, carnivore and 1wildcatfan like this.
  11. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Barren county
    There ya go bg. Get on it

Tankt likes this.
  12. Shawn Ward

Shawn Ward Fawn

Jan 5, 2021
    Northern Kentucky
    Apples to oranges! I was fortunate enough to kill a bull in KY 2017 with a bow. My wife and i hunted 21 days and I sealed the deal on the last day of the season with daylight failing. That was obviously before the regulations changed with the season shortened and divided into weeks. It was a great experience and we enjoyed that elk at the table immensely. That said I've been to Colorado twice and hunted them with no "success". I can tell you that there is nothing like watching a bull moose walk out in front of you or the view from a 10k+ peak in Colorado. They both have their place but hunters should get out west if possible. You won't regret it.

13. BULL MOOSE

BULL MOOSE 6 pointer

Dec 13, 2001
    Cartersville, GA, USA.
    What is a horse dumper?

14. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    People who dont have food (or space) for thier horses dump them on the mines we hunt elk on, adding to the feral horse herds we have here

15. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Do they have an estimate on how many horses are running wild up there. I remember they pitched a fit when they found that dozen or so shot a couple of years ago.