KY Trading Elk for Bears? and other varmints

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by JG26_Irish, Jul 1, 2019.

1. I was travelling thru Winchester this past week and stopped at a gas station for a cold drink. I spotted a pickup loaded with a nice 6x6 Elk mount and spoke to the owner about his recent hunt. As we talked, I told him that I enter the elk hunt lottery every year but never was drawn. Told him that my brother in law had a herd of about 60 elk on his land for years but that in the last 2-3 years they have disappeared. This is when the elk hunter shocked me.

He said we would have lots more elk if the state was not trading them away to other states. He said that 64 pregnant cows were hauled out of the state after the last season. Claims that the Elk hunt outfitter backed up this claim. To re-state his claim: He stated that the KY Dept of Fish and Wildlife are trading and selling elk to other neighboring states. Really? Why? I asked him what they were getting in trade? He claimed to have inside information that the State was receiving Bears, Coyotes, and Rattlesnakes in return for elk. I do not want to believe that our DNR officials would be that bad at trading or that the hunters statement is based in fact. The only reason I am posting this now it to trigger a discussion on the subject to see if any of us have supporting evidence that would confirm or deny his wild claim.

Bears, I could possibly believe but they are such a nuisance. Coyotes or snakes? What possible benefit could they be? We have too many coyotes already. Next they will want to bring in wolves and cougars, lol. Just to restate the obvious: This is pure hearsay on my part and I have NO EVIDENCE whatsoever that the statement is true or false. I just want to know the truth.

Irish

2. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    I would believe we are providing elk to other states...….as far as trading for bears/coyotes/snakes, that part sounds a little far fetched. I guess it is possible that F&W wants to "re-establish" a bear population, but from folks on here sounds like they are doing just fine on their own !!

Dark Cloud likes this.
  3. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Where have you been? We have been deporting our elk for several years and at an increasing rate. The varmint part is bs.
    I have personally seen elk traps set with game warden stating they were going to such and such states. The kicker is they were trapping in an actively hunted property during elk season. After season or on a non hunted property is fine but this was BS.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    Lady Hunter and elkaholic like this.
  4. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    We did exchange elk for crappie in past yrs.. Thsts a fact. I’ll take a limit of crappie anyday for a friggun bear. I know coon are bad but a bear is is a 150#-500# coon . Quadruple the damage. I love beAr meat lol. They not got get my sweet corn

elkaholic and Dark Cloud like this.
  5. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    My dad is trying to trap coon in our big honey select patch and he’s a coon hunter. A bear got in it last year and destroyed about 6 dz of corn. We tied dogs on each of the field but it circled the dogs and went between them. Dogs are going out this evening Along with lit oil buckets lit all around it. I’m not sure if it will detour anything but we will try

6. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Traded several hundred elk to Wisc for grouse. Traded for crappie fry with another state. Other trades too. They haul them out every year. Also been moving from hunting areas to viewing areas.

7. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    You lost me with the coyote/rattlesnake part. If there's one thing KY doesn't need more of it's coyotes. As for the rattlesnakes. we have enough of them too. The biologists would lose their job in a heartbeat if they even mentioned trading for coyotes. I'm sure they have trade programs using elk, and they have even written about it. If they want to trade for something, we need to get the roughed grouse going again!

8. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    They also tranq and tag elk during season, on hunting land, which is complete BS. We had two very nice bulls(300+) located for opening weekend of bull archery two years ago. Department tranquilized and tagged both of them on Wednesday night before opening Saturday of archery.

9. wv67

wv67 10 pointer

Dec 19, 2017
    Southern wva
    Rattlesnakes and coyotes are false Bears I’d say false , they said the same things here we traded turkey for snakes not true , they stocked coyotes and cougars ..false I have a friend that’s DNR we got elk from Kentucky Because Massey Coal helped get it done and paid big money To help stock Kentucky and Pa and in return we got some of Kentucky’s elk pa elk and some from Colorado some are being held in a pen in greenbrier county but no trades that I know of between WV and Kentucky

10. JR PORTER

JR PORTER 8 pointer

May 1, 2014
    KNOTT CO. KY
    They may be trading them, but personally I think it's certainly not for bears coyotes or snakes. They couldn't be that stupid. You hear all kinds of rumors like a few years ago a fellow told me he talked to a couple game wardens in Hazard at a bait shop and they told him they just turned 2 cougars and 2 black panthers loose in every county that had elk, do you believe that? I think it's all BS! lol

11. slickhead slayer

slickhead slayer 12 pointer

Nov 14, 2005
    VP OF ADMIN Development
    Good grief people, nobody wants more coyotes and rattlesnakes. Use your damn head.

12. elkaholic

elkaholic 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    I do know one thing. They have dropped the amount of elk tags from 1,000 to 500-600. They should keep our elk here and let them get back up in numbers before sending any more anywhere else. Our elk came from out west, let the other states get some from out there also.

Gooch likes this.
  13. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Sounds like need to trade elk for groundhogs as they seem to be scarce in parts of the state. A GH restocking program.

timer, bowhunter269 and Meatstick like this.
  14. Gooch

Gooch 8 pointer

Feb 24, 2004
    .lincoln co ky
    What he said

15. 00noturkey

00noturkey 10 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    high grove, ky
    aint herd nor seen a bob-white in a while, got plenty of yotes about. dont need nor want bears.
    nough trouble with putting up with inlaw's, and older siblings. why not trade them off..
    finally the copperheads dwindled off. though, been a while i ain't killed least 30 black widows, a year. i need to step up my game. cougar's have been spotted in KY. a friend of mine shot a wolf, though it were, near 40 year's ago, in this area. only one i ever seen, was in that picture,,
    i hate Katydid's, the sound they make at night, irritates me, dont like black widow's neither, had one for an in-law. there are some blackish birds that have been hanging around, very destructive. let the other states have at it. got plenty of varmints , here, if they want to trade.
    sound's more fair.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019