KY State Turkey Calling Contest

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by turkeyman2000, Feb 2, 2009.

1. turkeyman2000

turkeyman2000 6 pointer

Nov 22, 2005
    Paris, Kentucky
    Has anyone heard about the KY State Turkey Calling Contest? I heard that it is supposed to be held at Sportsman's Warehouse in Lexington....sometime in March. Not sure of the exact day and time. I'd like to call in it myself. Anyone know any details?

2. turkeyman2000

turkeyman2000 6 pointer

Nov 22, 2005
    Paris, Kentucky
    Thanks for the info l.brentt.

3. kywaterfowler

kywaterfowler 6 pointer

Jan 13, 2009
    maysville ky
    i come in third on a turkey calling contest once... when i was like 7 :D. but whats some of the details on this. like what call? etc.etc.

4. turkeyman2000

turkeyman2000 6 pointer

Nov 22, 2005
    Paris, Kentucky
    For a normal NWTF sanctioned contest, especially in the Open Division, you will be asked to give your best rendition of 4 - 5 calls. They draw for the calls that you will do in the contest, but the ones they have to chose from are: Cluck, Putt, Tree Call, Plain Yelp of the Hen, Cutting of Excited Hen, Adult Hen Assembly Call, Fly Down Cackle, Kee Kee Run, Purr, Caller's Best Call, Cluck and Purr, Gobble, and Yelp of Excited Hen. (I took this from an NWTF Offical Sanctioned Calling Contest Score Sheet).

It is recommended that you do 2 series of each of the calls. For example, if they ask you to do a Fly Down Cackle, you do your best Fly Down Cackle...then do it again. In the Open Division, you can use any call that you want....from a mouth diaphram to a slate/glass/crystal pot call, to a box call.

They may have an Amateur Division, which they may have the contestants do fewer calls. In several contests that I have been to, they will do that. Instead of having contestants do 5 calls as they do in the Open Division, they may only do 3 or 4 calls.