ky rifle kit build

Discussion in 'Muzzleloaders' started by danf26, Nov 23, 2014.

1. danf26

danf26 8 pointer

Nov 5, 2009
    southeastky
    has anyone on here ever bought a ky rifle flintlock kit and put it together? if so what brand did u get and where from? how big of a project was it? what caliber did u go with?

2. DUCKY41051

DUCKY41051 6 pointer

Jul 22, 2008
    Try dixie gun works, they have the kits you are asking about

3. Bladefoot

Bladefoot 6 pointer

Dec 6, 2010
    Goodlow Slough
    Jim Chambers in Candler NC or contact Tip Curtis in Cross Plains Tenn. Bladefoot

4. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  5. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    +2 on Tip. You can buy them as far along as you feel comfortable tackling.

I can go past his shop anyday after work if you want me to pick up a catalog. It is on Jernigan RD in Cross Plains. Turn at Trues BBQ, big pink pig out front.

6. surfshark46

surfshark46 6 pointer

Jul 31, 2010
    Lexington Ky
    my CVA .45 flintlock kit was traded for around late 70's. you need a good work bench, a sturdy mounted vise, wood working tools, chizels, gouges, files, rasps, fair tool set, dremmel is a great tool, drill bits, sanding block, sand paper, steel wool, polishing compounds for cleaning the hardware. A ton of patience if ya want a nice functional rifle. some tips, use only screw drivers that fit the screws, no boogers, when the lock is mounted to the gun make sure enough wood is removed so the hammer doesn't rub against anything. it makes the hammer strike the nipple or frizzen properly. youtube has some gunbuilding videos, watch some to get an idea of what is needed.

7. Dixie Gun Works has kits. A couple of years ago I went there and bought the .45 cal. Pedersoli Pennsylvania rifle kit in flintlock. It was reasonably prices, fun to build, and even more fun to shoot. I use it for deer hunting.
    100_3634.jpg

8. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    I'm still in "research" mode and have been for 2 years. I'm wanting to build the stock myself which complicates things. The one thing I have gathered, you HAVE to be completely patient. One over zealous or miscalculated step can cost you a properly finished gun. I'm a fine woodworker, but I think this takes it to a new level! It really looks fun to build though.

9. yote hunter

yote hunter 12 pointer

Oct 30, 2004
    bullitt county
    Take a trip up to Friendship Indiana for the spring shoot.all kinds of helpful info and people.

10. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    I will definitely look that up. That is what I need. I'm more apprehensive about the gun smithing and metal work, than working with the wood. I think if I could talk to some knowledgable people and have some questions answered...I could finally start building. I just don't want to start the project and spend the money and be forever unhappy that I didn't complete my due diligence.