Ky public land

JT0007

Fawn
Apr 24, 2022
Bardstown
Has anybody had any look on rolling fork wma, or just found any spots that weren’t completely overgrown out there, went out this morning and heard plenty of gobbles but it was so overgrown I think it would take the birds all day and then some to get to you, of course when I finally did get to where I could see em the were strutting on the private property that adjoins the wma 🤦‍♂️

cdalle6

6 pointer
Sep 13, 2009
KY
8 birds killed at Rolling Fork last year. Make of that what you will.

Attachments

• 79E2E859-EB5D-4A11-B599-AF655BAEB719.jpeg
    79E2E859-EB5D-4A11-B599-AF655BAEB719.jpeg
    56.3 KB · Views: 31

JT0007

Fawn
Apr 24, 2022
Bardstown
8 birds killed at Rolling Fork last year. Make of that what you will.
Yeah. I saw that I think that’s for this year tho, unless it just happens to be the same. I was on the larue co side, I guess I’ll go check out the Nelson county side and see if it’s any better

OLE RASPY

12 pointer
Sep 9, 2018
Barren county
Seems like some of the wma’s around barren river are rough to and not taken care of. I may be wrong but I hit one other day and it was far grown up than what it was bout 5 years ago when I was there. Looks like they would take a bushhog to some of the lanes. Damn briars and thick. Guess I think different. If ya want birds to fly down and strut, they ain’t struttin in that. Lol. Good for hens though. Idk. I don’t hunt public much. Just thought I’d try it other day.
Didn’t strike up nothing in 2 hrs of being there but that’s public and it was hot as hell out to. I love this cool down we had today

cdalle6

6 pointer
Sep 13, 2009
KY
Yeah. I saw that I think that’s for this year tho, unless it just happens to be the same. I was on the larue co side, I guess I’ll go check out the Nelson county side and see if it’s any better

My mistake you are correct. 2 birds killed there last year.

Attachments

• C0D49A4A-9DDB-4999-9A88-C0CE527416F8.jpeg
    C0D49A4A-9DDB-4999-9A88-C0CE527416F8.jpeg
    58.5 KB · Views: 21

JT0007

Fawn
Apr 24, 2022
Bardstown
Thick cover is good for nesting. Thick cover is also good for rabbits, quail and song birds.

Turkeys move through thick cover. A gobbler might not fly down into a thicket to strut, but he’ll move through that thicket (and strut) if he’s wanting to get through it.
Yeah I heard a couple of hens clucking in some of the thick stuff, and had 3 gobbling from different directions, but by the time I got to where I could see them, 1 was on private land and the other two where on the other side of the river, and it’s not just tall grass, and thickets, it’s mostly small tress all growing really close together, it could almost give a bamboo forest a run for its money lol, I ain’t bitching too much, I just figured they might at least clear a few lanes, but it’s probably a lower tier wma so I doubt they do burns or anything

JT0007

Fawn
Apr 24, 2022
Bardstown
Seems like some of the wma’s around barren river are rough to and not taken care of. I may be wrong but I hit one other day and it was far grown up than what it was bout 5 years ago when I was there. Looks like they would take a bushhog to some of the lanes. Damn briars and thick. Guess I think different. If ya want birds to fly down and strut, they ain’t struttin in that. Lol. Good for hens though. Idk. I don’t hunt public much. Just thought I’d try it other day.
Didn’t strike up nothing in 2 hrs of being there but that’s public and it was hot as hell out to. I love this cool down we had today
All of the state owned land that allows hunting is fairly nice, it seems that’s it just the kdfw owned properties that are rough as hell, of the four that are near me, 1 is the 1 I mentioned in the original post(on the map, the Nelson county side does look better but no telling how old that is), 1 is straight up swamp, because it’s a wetland reclaim area, 1 butts up to bernheim so it’s could be good, but has nothing that would help it hold turkey or deer (no water on the property) and the other is state owned and is fairly nice but because of that it gets so much pressure that it’s like being at the mall on a Saturday lol, for example I called in a few hens out there and no sooner than I finally got a gobble, another hunter came over the ridge, and I walked damn near to the limit of that one as well so it caught me off guard

OLE RASPY

12 pointer
Sep 9, 2018
Barren county
From my experience, most of the wmas are not kept up the way most of us imagine managing a large tract of land. With that said, there are two sides to the coin and as ky_swamp mentioned there are some benefits to the thick cover.
Y’all both exactly right. Guess I was trying to say that.

Latest posts