KY needs a spread limit

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by blade, Nov 13, 2006.

1. kybowhunter64

kybowhunter64 Banned

Oct 17, 2006
    NKY

i understand your point but i saw a good buck when we went to the taxadermist taht wuoldd probably score at least 160 that was a basket rack but he was HUGEEEEEEE i mean and personaly i dont think people would follow the rules i personaly cant wait till my family gets some land so we can do some QDM and we can start slaying some big bucks:D

2. Deerhunter150

Deerhunter150 Spike

Nov 25, 2004
    Leitchfield, Ky
    kevhunter is right. it is nobody's business what anyone shoots. no one tells you to pass on bucks or kill this one. this is America and i will shoot what i want to. if you want to tell people what to shoot buy a game farm and sell hunts. if not leave others alone and stay out of their business.

3. ebfarmer

ebfarmer 6 pointer

Nov 22, 2003
    Cave City, Ky, USA.
    I really don't want to be counting points and checking the spread on bucks before I decide to shoot. My criteria for shooting a buck is that it is big enough to get me excited, and I will be happy with it, no matter what may walk out later in the season. Spread limits may be fine for you folks who have gotten to the point where killing a doe no longer makes your heart beat fast. Or for the guys who look at a 2 1/2 year old eight point, that someone is grinning ear to ear about, and think "I wish people would let the little ones grow". However, there are a lot of us out there who just aren't to that point yet, personally I hope I dont ever get there. I would hate to think that it took a P&Y deer to get me excited. If I got like that I believe it would be time to find something else to do.

4. maxcam

maxcam 12 pointer

Mar 29, 2005
    I agree with everyone on this topic.....I think what the intent of the original post was simply to draw attention to how much better it could be.....Not that its bad now...We have a very good deer herd in Kentucky....

If a 2.5 year old 8 pointer gets your blood pumpin just imagine what a 3.5 year old 10 pointer would do......Its a natual progression of what ifs in my mind.....Wouldnt it be awesome "IF" a 130 inch deer a common sight for all of Kentucky's deer hunters....

I think the original post does raise a very honest question......In all reality given two deer standing in front of you and the shot being equal on both,
    one being a fork horn and the other a mature doe, why does the average hunter seem to think that the fork horn is the better "trophy"?

Its been my experience over the years that the ol horse head doe is usually the wiser thus harder to harvest animal and to the seasoned hunter regarded as the real trophy of the bunch......Maybe just maybe we need to stop putting so much reverence on bone ....

Now I can appreciate the novice hunter that has never harvested the horns, and for that reason alone would be hard pressed to support a size limit on buck. The first time hunter should never have to choose between deer stew and tag soup....

I suppose the real answer lies within us all.....For those that want to try and grow bigger bucks then educate your neighbors.....Start braggin about that 4.5 year old doe you shot......

Those that enjoy hunting by the "if its brown its down" rule.....Enjoy and be sure to take plenty of shells......Goodluck

5. girlshunt2ky

girlshunt2ky 6 pointer

Oct 20, 2006
    Elizabethtown, Kentucky
    Ughhhhh

I just give up.................:confused:

6. ebfarmer

ebfarmer 6 pointer

Nov 22, 2003
    Cave City, Ky, USA.
    I think the four pointers are pretty safe except from a novice or from someone who shoots more than one buck. For the novice, I would be happy for them if they are happy with that deer. For the guys killing more than one buck, and I believe this is the biggest problem we have, they aren't going to follow the rules anyway. I don't know how many people were amazed that I called my buck in. They all said "Why did you do that? Now you can't shoot another one".

7. shogan

shogan Cyber-Hunter

Aug 15, 2002
    Central, ky
    What ky needs is to up the buck limit to two and then start enforcing it including road blocks. And dare I say it check in stations I guess. :eek:

8. girlshunt2ky

girlshunt2ky 6 pointer

Oct 20, 2006
    Elizabethtown, Kentucky
    how about this....

How about everyone start instilling VALUES and MORALS in their children, and YES some already do....and then maybe those people who take 5 or 6 each season will eventually fade away...Without morals, values, and a sence of pride and concern for the environment and what lives there not much of anything can or will be achieved......:(

9. ebfarmer

ebfarmer 6 pointer

Nov 22, 2003
    Cave City, Ky, USA.
    Because those people taking more than one buck are reproducing too.

10. girlshunt2ky

girlshunt2ky 6 pointer

Oct 20, 2006
    Elizabethtown, Kentucky

true as well...SAD SAD SAD...hell just shoot'em.......j/k......(people not the deer.)

11. maxcam

maxcam 12 pointer

Mar 29, 2005
    The more you say the more Im starting to appreciate the way you think!

12. deerman308

deerman308 6 pointer

Oct 30, 2006
    I can not agree more about the spread limit. On the farm I hunt there is an enforced 15" spread limit and you must first shoot a doe in order to earn the right to take a buck. This has worked pretty well and is simple to enforce, anyone who does not follow the rules is simply not given permission to hunt again. With finding land to hunt on as difficult as it is the threat of losing your happy hunting ground goes a long way. This was put in place last year and I have already seen a increase in the number of young bucks that will have a chance to grow up.

13. etownhunter

etownhunter 12 pointer

Mar 21, 2004
    Central ky
    we cannot stop others from shooting anything that walks, it called hunting and it will be like that until the end of time!
    I myself, i dont shot any deer that walks, if its not pushin 140" im not shootin it!

14. duffiel3

duffiel3 6 pointer

May 17, 2006
    Morehead, KY
    I'm a believer in hunting whatever makes you happy. I also like the idea of killing a big one. The thing I see in KY after hunting WV and NC is that Kentucky is full of big deer and I have a hard time understanding why people complain so often. I do see your point if hunting to you is all about killing a big deer. i understand that, but the fact is that everyone doesn't care about killing a big deer. Ya can't please everyone I guess.

Also, a lot of people on this site own their own land or fork over money that I aint got for a lease. I say, do what you want on your little piece of heaven and let others do what they want on their piece of heaven.

I definitely would like to kill a big buck rather than a small one. It seems to me that it's not so big a challenge to kill a big one in KY as it is in WV or NC. When you kill a big one in those states, it's a bigger deal than killinng one here. All the 130's and 140's and 150's are simply the status quo in KY it seems (not saying that it's simple to kill a big one, just saying that there are so many more big deer here that it's not quite the challenge in my opinion.)

With all that said, I like the thought of KY hunting because the odds of killing a big one are GREAT!!! But, I am gonna feel a lot better about killing a big one in WV than I will here.

I respect all opinions and viewpoints though, and don't hold anything against anyone who thinks one way or the other about the issue. While I am in KY, I'll hold out best I can.

15. KnoxCoDeerHunter

KnoxCoDeerHunter 6 pointer

Nov 13, 2006
    Knox County
    Im with you on this, Ive always asked the same question, Myself I never shoot smaller bucks, has to be bigger than the ones ive killed in the past...I rather watch them walk and see bigger bucks for yrs to come, but someone around the ridge thinks different....but what are they to do...nothing, but keep on hunting, and doing what I think is right