KY House passes "Right to Work" Bill

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by richief, Jan 5, 2017.

1. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    RTW is not instant gratification by no means, rather it is savoring a low, and slow smoke of a heritage breed pork shoulder...Or, sowing the seeds of an heirloom vegetable variety in January, in anticipation of harvest in July.

Delicacies are never instantaneous, they do take time and patience. You can't get them at the local Kroger, after work, and have them for supper that evening. The rewards will be worth the wait, I promise.

2. wademup

wademup 12 pointer

Feb 5, 2004
    benton, ky, USA.
    I'm confused, do you think Trump would be opposed to RTW legislation ? I really don't know but assumed he would be a supporter

3. slobear

slobear 12 pointer

Nov 20, 2014
    Trump town, USA
    I believe he is opposed to importing workers. I'll say it again slower, "i'm not a proponent or opponent of rtw".

4. slobear

slobear 12 pointer

Nov 20, 2014
    Trump town, USA
    The taste will suffer from that heirloom vegetable if you plant it to early. Of course you can find them at your local kroger, the quality will be terrible and the price will be the same. Great analogy!

5. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

I will put this out there, But for you younger guys mark this down. Not in my lifetime but I am sure but someday the workers will return to Union's. Just remember the Kentucky motto ...United We Stand..Divided We Fall. When the company's screw the workers over enough they will join ranks just like years ago. People will only take so much just like a lot of other things until the SHTF. In my life I have never seen a company that would not take advantage of the workers given the chance be it for whatever reason.
    And for Slobear.... Never seen a Republican that was not for RTW and not anti Union in one form or another. Just goes to show who controls the Republican party. And don't let the R's convince you they are against importing workers, The corporate farms and other company's rely on imports that work cheap to operate and look who those corporations donate to.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  6. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    Umm, there's nothing stopping people from joining unions now. They weren't outlawed.

7. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    Also, saw this in the paper this weekend:

GE Appliances workers ratify revised contract

GRACE SCHNEIDER
    GE Appliance Park’s hourly employees on Friday gave a thumbs-up to a proposed four-year labor contract.

It will deliver modest salary increases and maintain work rules that employees felt were crucial. Most significantly, it settles the question of whether the union workers and the new owners could reach terms after failing in a first attempt.

In daylong balloting, nearly 80 percent of union voters approved the contract, with 2,675 yes votes and 715 voting against. “We went back to the table and got everything they asked for,” said Dana Crittenden, president of IUE-CWA Local 83761, which represents about 4,000 employees at the southern Louisville complex.

In a statement, Eric Leef, chief negotiator and human resources manager for GE Appliances, said: “We are thankful to our employees for their ongoing commitment to continuous improvement and supporting our customers. The vote to accept the contract is positive news for employees, Appliance Park, the Louisville community and our business.”

After China-based Haier paid parent General Electric $5.4 billion last year for the appliances division, the new owners and the union needed to sign a new labor contract. Management warned before bargaining began last summer that it intended to push for a leaner deal to allow the company to cut costs for making ovens, washers and refrigerators in an increasingly competitive industry.

Officials also urged workers to consider the long-term future of the park, which they said has been losing hundreds of millions of dollars annually.

The new contract, similar to the first, calls for creating a $12-an-hour wage for entry-level workers who will be placed in a “flexible workforce training pool” starting Feb. 27. New workers can switch to “competitive wage” $14-anhour positions as spots become available. Because of turnover, the switch could occur within months, park spokeswoman Kim Freeman said.

New terms also include a $2,500 ratification bonus this month and 30-centan- hour wage increases each year, in January 2018 and 2019. Veteran workers, called non-competitive wage workers, will also receive $1,500 cash payments in a year and two years from now. The value of the package over the next decade is estimated at $14,350 per worker.

Shift differential would remain the same as the current rate of 10 percent additional pay for those on evening and overnight shifts. Bumping rights, in which senior workers can displace junior- level peers from positions, were restored in the approved contract.

Union members had voted the first contract down by nearly 3-to-1 before the Thanksgiving weekend. It provided no wage increases, drastically cut shift differential pay and eliminated bumping. That provision will affect about 300 mostly senior warehouse workers who are due to be reassigned across the park after the company hands over operations to a third-party contractor in coming weeks.

Eric Sims, a former president of the local who works on a flexible paint line in Building 2, said that workers asked for changes after the first contract and the parties responded. “We got what the membership asked for,” Sims said. “I think it’s a good place to start with the new company.” He said revising the contract to add the 10 percent extra shift pay was key to regaining support since “that was a big deal.” Dawn Stastick, who works in the warehouse, said she voted no on the revised contract because the increase in wages was more than offset by a boost in medical insurance costs. And “I couldn’t in good conscience vote to bring the next generation of workers in here at $12 an hour. That’s not a living wage. Those people will need assistance from the state to get by,” she said. Stastick also mentioned concern for approving a $12-an-hour wage following Kentucky’s enactment of right-to-work legislation, which allows workers can opt in or reject joining a union. She predicted that the new workers will decide that with their meager paychecks, they can’t afford the union dues anyway.

Reporter Grace Schneider can be reached at 502-582-4082 or [email protected] com.

My non-union company starting pay is $13.50 and progresses up to $15.23 in just 9 months.

8. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County

I'm glad it worked out for you. Really am. My dad was IBEW for 40 years, and worked out for him pretty good. He also instilled in me an ethic to work hard so I wouldn't be subject to a lot of the Union rules and BS that goes along with it.

As I've said, I don't care if someone joins the Union, just that they have a choice to do so or not. I just don't see them as the savior of the working man, do not believe a person needs them to succeed, and do not have this jaded view of corporate America. I, personally know people that I fly that started out in entry level, hourly positions, and are now senior VP's in the company. All with zero help from any union. Are there companies that screw workers? Sure. Not being in the Union means I'm free to leave that company whenever I choose without losing seniority or anything else.

I also find it counterintuitive, that most Democrats want people to be pro-choice about everything from gender to abortion to race, but think those same people must not be given the choice on whether they can join a union or not.

9. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    yeah.......for some reason the pro-union people act like unions are going to be against the law all the sudden. If they are really needed and desired by workers, they will join. Gee it is almost like if folks aren't extorted into joining, the won't join.......It kind of tells me something about the state of unions these days.

10. nwest

nwest 12 pointer

Those same jobs at GE paid 23.00 when my Dad retired from it 10 years ago..... The union has done them a lot of good.

11. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    My past employer was in talks to acquire the appliance division of GE for about two years. The DOJ nullified the merger on grounds it would lead to a non-competitive marketplace. I am just now seeing it was sold to a Chinese company. Good work gov. Our business basically froze non-essential capital spending in preparation for the purchase and merger.

Those wages quoted in the article are on par with what we payed when you factor that TN does not have a state income tax and the cost of living in north TN is quite a bit less than Jefferson Co.

12. wademup

wademup 12 pointer

Feb 5, 2004
    benton, ky, USA.
    Well meet your first then, I've been a Republican since 1981 and ain't anti union nor for RTW. I've got plenty of problems with unions from personal experience but believe Republicans should leave the entire issue alone. I don't know 10 Democrats who support their party for any reason but unions.

13. SlowBow

SlowBow Spike

Nov 5, 2015
    Henderson Co., KY
    False. I'm a United Auto Worker, Local 3059. I live in KY but, work in IN. And, yes, our Union stewards DO have to represent the employees that have dropped out of, or chose not to joining the Union. We just negotiated and signed a new 3yr collective bargaining agreement between the "Union and the company" yet, the non-Union employees(currently about 10% of our workforce)will receive the same Early Ratification Bonus, pay raises, 401K and insurance improvements as us card-carrying, due-paying Union members get...plus mandatory representation. I could rattle on for weeks about how this affects morale, relations, tension, etc. Just not good for the workplace environment. You're either in....or get the frock out.

Carl likes this.
  14. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    Unions have to represent all workers of a place if the union CHOOSES to be the sole bargaining unit of a place. They can choose to open up the business to other bargaining units as well, and then not have to represent all workers--only dues paying members. But they choose not to.

15. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Would not this make them a Union also ? Let you in on a little secret you don't get something for nothing and those other bargaining units are not going to work for free.