KY Hardwoods Hunters Calls...A MUST

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by Jay Blankenship, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Jay Blankenship

Jay Blankenship 6 pointer

Mar 22, 2018
    OH
    Folks. If ya enjoy runnin mouth calls. This ol boy is puttin out A quality product. Hate to give away every little secret I have in my arsenal but I sure am glad I put this in it. My 16yr old kid is coming strong runnin these. Yelps, cuts, his kee kee run is purdy as ya ever hear from a kid.

the oldest boy don’t know it yet. But when we start hunting the OH adult season. Ok dad is gonna be the shooter this time around. Not a peep coming from me. Time for my oldest to call the old man in one for the first time.

yelp...yelp...CUT.CUT.CUT.goooobbbllleeee

2. wv67

wv67 12 pointer

Dec 19, 2017
    Southern wva
    Do they have a web page besides FB I don’t do FB

3. Jay Blankenship

Mar 22, 2018
    OH

Not sure....I don’t Facebook myself. Hit em up on here. Justin has some killer vids he’s been posting. Everyone sounds different. For many reasons. But I like Justin. And when you find a guy that’s puttin his heart n soul into people making memories and not trying to get rich quick well by golly you got yourself a call maker. I truly have been impressed with my 16yr old boy with these. The kids gettin the nice nasal rasp with crisp sounds on the backend. His cuts are pure. And the kee kee run has me gobbling !!!

kyoutdoorsman likes this.
  4. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 12 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
    He had tons on YouTube videos. Look up Justin Hogan.

rockhousehunter likes this.
  5. wv67

wv67 12 pointer

Dec 19, 2017
    Southern wva
    Ok thanks fellas

6. Grago

Grago 8 pointer

Dec 13, 2016
    He makes them, sound great, he also has great videos, calls when he needs to, but dont over call, rather watch his videos , than any other out there...

7. Jay Blankenship

Mar 22, 2018
    OH

I agree. He does well.

8. Jay Blankenship

Mar 22, 2018
    OH

Keep us posted on here how ya like em.

9. wv67

wv67 12 pointer

Dec 19, 2017
    Southern wva
    Sure will I sent him a pm

10. rockhousehunter

rockhousehunter 10 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    West Liberty, Ky
    I've learned over the years that a real hen, most of the time, doesn't sound nearly as good as the various calls that most people use. I've heard a couple of hens that I thought were kids not knowing how to use their call, just to find out nope that poor hen is real lol.

11. Jay Blankenship

Mar 22, 2018
    OH

Good post.

12. woodsman92

woodsman92 6 pointer

Feb 16, 2019
    Russell Co
    Agreed, I used to think a lot of calls sounded bad. Too scratchy or too raspy. I wanted my calls to be crispy clean. Now after years experience seeing and listening to real hens in the woods I realize those perfect sounds I liked, weren’t as realistic as those “bad” calls I was talking down. Lesson learned

Grago and Jay Blankenship like this.
  13. Jay Blankenship

Mar 22, 2018
    OH
    The real judge of calling is that big boy fanned out head tucked tight in those feathers!!!!

he’s the one we are trying to impress !!

he likes it......then job well done !!!!

14. Jay Blankenship

Mar 22, 2018
    OH
    when A person gets better at what to say when to say it along with woodsman skills

That will out do trying to sound like you deserve to be on the NWTF Calling stage!

15. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Sounding perfect is for the contest callers and the judge .It’s all about the rhythm ,and the different type sounds you can try to mimic,it don’t have to be perfect. Most all mouth calls are made with the same materials ,and now most are stretched with a press or a jig ,made by Thad Bright .Different type tape ,the way the tape is cut and different size frames ,are what makes a call ,comfortable in the palate of your mouth .It don’t hurt to trim the tape a little at a time to make it fit your mouth, you can also bend the frame (if it’s metal )a little ,but once you loosen the latex to much ,then it’s pretty much done.
    You never know what that ole gobbler might like, good luck and practice ,practice ,practice.

JR PORTER and Jay Blankenship like this.