KY F&W 10 Yr Grouse Plan

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by Drahts, Mar 3, 2020.

1. grouseguy

grouseguy 12 pointer

What a pile of happy horseshit.

Just habitat, habitat, habitat ... same ole song and dance.

Not one mention of disease!!!!

Dangermouse likes this.
  2. Panther45

Panther45 6 pointer

Sep 25, 2013

I can understand the frustration of hearing the same old song and dance. It does get old after awhile but I think we can all agree that habitat is key! Yes, I believe disease is playing a role in population decline but how much can we realistically do to solve that problem. The answer is nothing. We can't stop the disease but we can give birds a way to help cope with it. Why waste a bunch of money on something we can not prevent, especially when several other states are already spending the money for research that we will have access to? The best way to survive the disease is with proper habitat that includes lots of food, cover, and nesting. It has already been studied and proven in WNV areas that grouse survival rates are much higher when there is an abundance of proper habitat. Lets take a look at states like Michigan or even Maine. There is no doubt in my mind that these states too have grouse infected with WNV but they have still huntable populations of birds. Ever look at a satellite map of Maine or maybe you have even been there. The entire state is pretty much one big rotational clear cut. Birds have unlimited habitat and Maine has alot of birds.

I'm not trying to get anyone fired up or start an argument but I would rather have my money spent on proven tactics instead of throwing money into the wind at a disease we have no control over. Also, habitat restoration is going to benefit several species, not just grouse.

3. Tankt

Tankt 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2019
    Kentucky
    Dont even bother arguing with GWP using logic and facts. It's pointless

4. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    Bottom line is that without habitat the grouse will be gone period. I agree to that point for sure, until we have a way to control the disease that is proven not to harm other inhabitants or the eco system that is affordable to implement, we would be throwing good money into the wind. F&W has not said disease is not an issue, I've spoke to Zak personally and can tell you it is definitely part of their subject matter into their plan.