Knott county

mudhole crossing

12 pointer
Aug 20, 2007
East ky
It’s hard to believe what once was has gone down the drain. At one time there was too many, now it’s pretty bleak. There’s a desirable mean to everything but the elk pop is on the rails. Continuing cow tags is mind blowing to me at this point. I guess tag money is more important than the management these days.

CalebConn16

8 pointer
May 27, 2016
And… active strip jobs are almost endangered as elk itself. The once lush and green graze has been taken over by evasive species. No grazing opps for the elk anymore. Factor in the growing bear pop and predation it don’t look good at all. Just my .02
I think very few things will predate a elk in Kentucky honestly. I’m sure yotes get a few but I really doubt they hurt population. Black bears in some places appear to be the number 1 elk predator on calves but I swear I just don’t think we have a huge population in Elk country. I know far southeastern is loaded but Floyd, knott, breathitt, pike, perry I just think they are here and there. I spend a lot of time driving and outside and places they should be and never see any except for an occasional sighting around 680 in McDowell or 80 around the county line. Another thing to consider is people around here simply are not going to tolerate bears. I would guess most bears have 1 time to hit a garbage can around here before it’s SSS. And I can honestly say I’ve never seen a elk kill site. Maybe you wouldn’t but I see deer kills quite often. Elk are still here. They just aren’t dumb anymore.

mudhole crossing

12 pointer
Aug 20, 2007
East ky
I think very few things will predate a elk in Kentucky honestly. I’m sure yotes get a few but I really doubt they hurt population. Black bears in some places appear to be the number 1 elk predator on calves but I swear I just don’t think we have a huge population in Elk country. I know far southeastern is loaded but Floyd, knott, breathitt, pike, perry I just think they are here and there. I spend a lot of time driving and outside and places they should be and never see any except for an occasional sighting around 680 in McDowell or 80 around the county line. Another thing to consider is people around here simply are not going to tolerate bears. I would guess most bears have 1 time to hit a garbage can around here before it’s SSS. And I can honestly say I’ve never seen a elk kill site. Maybe you wouldn’t but I see deer kills quite often. Elk are still here. They just aren’t dumb anymore.
I think the worst thing to happen with the pop is over harvest and trapping. They have def gotten smarter but elk sign and boot wear tells me the animals are no where near what the use to be. And I cover a lot of ground each year in my home county.

Feedman

Cyber-Hunter
May 28, 2003
In the basement
Feral horses have to go they are eating every acorn as soon as they drop.

Haven't heard anything lately about feral horses. How large is the population estimated to be at now?

KYBOY

12 pointer
Apr 21, 2005
Floyd,co..Kentucky
I cant speak to the herd size or the actual problems they caused but i can say they were a crap ton of them at one time. so much that you couldnt park your truck in several places without getting it chewed on or used for a scratching post.. My buddy got the fenders chewed off a brand new truck near the Floyd/Knott line a couple winters ago... They were getting at the road salt..Took three of his fenders in the process:oops:

carnivore

12 pointer
Nov 17, 2007
Ky
I cant speak to the herd size or the actual problems they caused but i can say they were a crap ton of them at one time. so much that you couldnt park your truck in several places without getting it chewed on or used for a scratching post.. My buddy got the fenders chewed off a brand new truck near the Floyd/Knott line a couple winters ago... They were getting at the road salt..Took three of his fenders in the process:oops:
Saw a dead mare (shot) and my buddy couldn’t believe someone would shoot a horse. If it wasn’t injured and needed to be put down i guarantee someone’s truck got chewed on and they decided it wouldn’t happen again.

WXman

Fawn
Sep 27, 2021
Central Kentucky
After my experience hunting down there the last two years I'd be shocked if somebody DID take an elk in Knott county, especially a bull. You're more likely to see a zebra in a KDFW hunting zone than an elk.

Latest posts