Knee replacements

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by riverboss, Nov 5, 2018.

1. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    Got home Friday. Lots of swelling and discomfort!
    I'm dealing with it but the lack of sleep gets old quick.
    Can't get comfortable no matter what. A lift chair is a must for sleeping and getting up with both.
    I have no knee pain it's all the material around it that has been manipulated during surgery.
    I'm sure one at a time would go alot smoother it's been 6 days and I really need to get my bowls moving before I explode.

2. spanky116

spanky116 6 pointer

Aug 14, 2005
    Garrad County, KY
    They told me to keep moving your feet and it helps with some of the swelling. My wife kept feeding me fruit cups and it helped keep me moving. Any time I would get up to go the bathroom I'd make a lap around the house. I feel your pain about sleeping. I slept in a chair 4 nights. Once I got in the bed wasn't much better because I don't sleep on my back very well. Just keep thinking it will get better don't get down. Your home so you made it thru the worst part.

3. spanky116

spanky116 6 pointer

Aug 14, 2005
    Garrad County, KY
    Just wanted to check and see how you were doing.

4. Teach Deer

Teach Deer 8 pointer

Aug 4, 2013
    Georgetown
    This can be a game changing procedure...it really can restore the ability to walk without pain to some...

That said, both hip and knee replacement surgeries are truly brutal procedures... In 1991, I was hired (a group of 9 college engineering students), to investigate a problem that was occurring with a device...the study was sponsored by the company (non-disclosure agreement + security clearance-so don't ask) who was proactively looking to understand the problem with their device (no lawsuits yet)...I was the engineering/medicine major of the group so I was tasked to observe the surgeries and report back to the rest of the engineering team...we researched, created models, worked hand in hand with the orthopedic surgeons, refined the technique...

Also interviewed patients, some of whom could not walk before the procedure and were now walking...
    It can be a wonderful thing...
    Find a good orthopedist with experience...

Carl likes this.
  5. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 10 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    As a PT I have watched plenty of knees and hips done on the operation table. It is wild to see what they do and how a person is bounced around a table. Cool thing is though, I got to rehab several of the folks that had surgeries that evening or next day. Swelling is likely gonna be why you have pain. Get rid of the selling get rid of a majority of the pain. How to do that, keep moving. If you are sitting down, lay down, then elevate. Sitting up in a chair is not the best thing for you. Use pillows under your legs strategically for comfort. Keep those ankles moving and flex/extend that knee as much as possible. The flexion will come back way more easily than the extension in most cases. If they sent you home with a CPM use it, if they sent you home with orders for PT, get started today.

6. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    It's been a month and I'm on a cane, it's been tough but things are starting to get better.
    Range of motion isn't as easy as one would think, the therophy is harder than the surgery
    I've had swelling the whole time and it's been uncomfortable, I hope I'm over the hard stuff!
    Dr and PT say everything is going good I'm glad they are done but i don't know if doing them both at the same time was the smartest thing I've ever done.

1wildcatfan likes this.
  7. deadaim

deadaim 12 pointer

Dec 12, 2001
    Booger Hollar
    Id have to be dang near dying from the pain before I would do knees or hips......got a friend now 2 years into infection nightmare that almost killed him from hip implants and seen way 2 many folks in a bad way from infected knees......the least surgey or hospital time the better in my book.

Carl likes this.
  8. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    It's been 10 weeks and got released last week. Been back to work part time for the last two weeks, still swells some and need to ice a couple times a day.
    For the most part I'm pain free and don't regret having it done.

carnivore, jblack1, Carl and 5 others like this.
  9. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Good deal.

10. spanky116

spanky116 6 pointer

Aug 14, 2005
    Garrad County, KY
    That's great. It keeps getting better.

riverboss likes this.
  11. Can she recommend a good Orthpedist in the Morehead region? I have had knee pain off and on since HS. Raced MX, trained in martial arts, other sports left me with progressive arthritis in both knees have had good luck with synvisc injections over about 11-12 yrs and use glucosomine and sometimes CBD for pain relief. Need to lose a few pounds too. At the moment, I am mostly pain free but am due for another round of synvisc now. My old Ortho Doc has retired, so I am without med care at the moment.

As long as I can walk I am going to wait. It is a brutal procedure. My Mom had both done but suffered during the rehab. A work colleague had one done this spring and is doing great.

12. wademup

wademup 12 pointer

Feb 5, 2004
    benton, ky, USA.
    Good deal proud it went well

riverboss likes this.
  13. Bee

Bee 10 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    it hurts like the devil for sure. I got off the pain meds ASAP as I think they were screwing up my sleep.Had a great surgeon, and a great PT person. I was wading to fish in nine weeks, and bird hunting in very rough country in the west in 4.5 months..There is light at end of tunnel for you.

14. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    Glad to see it's doing well. In a few months, you'll be doing things with no thought and it will be over.

15. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    Greenup, ky, USA.
    Marshall Orthopedic at Cabell Huntington Hospital is in the 97th percentile in the country . Ali Oliashirazi is one of the best Orthopedic surgeons in the country.