Killin em at night?

usmcvet06

6 pointer
Sep 20, 2006
Central KY
Just curious as to how many of you all are killing them at night. Me and my hunting buddy have been a few times with responses but never a commitment. We were out last night and had 3 different packs within 200 yards. My thought process is if I'm gonna hunt them at night I"m going to hunt the smallest opening (bottle necks) and put the call 15 yard in front of me in hopes I can get them within 50 yards of the call. How often do you all scan the surroundings? I don't usually scan with a light when I can see a good distance with the moon. The odds are against us for sure. They can see better, your not gonna be able to hit em at 150yards, they're gonna be in your lap before you see them coming. (I vote rifles at night) LOL!

bigpuddin43

12 pointer
Feb 21, 2007
bucktown
Scan constantly once you get eye shine keep the bottom run of your light on them. They can't see past the light once you get the eye shine. Called a fox into 15 yards one night and have had two yotes within 60 yards. One was missed due to not judging the yardage correctly the other we had the light off and saw him come out of the woods. As soon as the light was turned on he bolted.

Tha' Hat

10 pointer
Oct 3, 2005
The Island
It's a learning curve for sure. We've been twice and called up critters both times. We scared some off the first night that we had coming in. I'll blame it primarily on mistakes with the light, but thinking back, we could've been set up a little better, too.

But we're learning. Smoked one's ass the second trip out. And we pretty well called our shot setting up on where the critter would come from and where he'd get shot. It worked.

I used to coyote hunt a lot in the daylight, and killed several. But responses seem easier to come by at night. And there's something about shining that light and seeing the red eyes that's a whole lot of fun to me.

Wildcat

12 pointer
Jan 7, 2002
Ledbetter, Ky.
bigpuddin is right.

Turn on your scan light on as soon as you leave the truck and turn it off when you get back. Keep the center of the light high above the ground you can pick out the eyes easy enough using the bottom of the light's halo, if you shine the center of the light right in their eyes they will spook just like somebody shined the middle of the light in your face. Also just like us, the coyotes cannot see past the light, it's like a curtain. .

Place the caller right in front of you. The coyotes are looking for the sound they hear and by placing the caller in front of you they are looking right at you making it easier to see and stay on their eyes.

My scan light is mounted on my cap and all I need to do is look around with my head. My shooting light is mounted on my shotgun, a remote switch allows me to turn it on just before I pull the trigger.

usmcvet06

6 pointer
Sep 20, 2006
Central KY
Heres an idea I had while drinking beer last night.... Seemed like a genius idea at the time! take a small flashlight and light tape a stick to it and stick it in the ground pointing up in the air at the casting light on decoy. In hopes that it would help if you used a decoy at night. just a thought lol today after coffee and water I also reminded myself that they hunt at night so they should be able to see the movement anyways... What do you guys think?

Latest posts