Killed a decent 8 yesterday

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Grago, Oct 19, 2020.

1. Grago

Grago 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2016
    My gosh, you talk about a ordeal lol . Used to when i was able to hunt, they just pretty much walked up there, and i shot them. About all you can say about it. Now that im not able to hunt, Sometimes some crazy stuff. First i had decided, not to hunt, i had a friend, really wanted my accura, as bad as i hated to i sold it to him. I didnt have a camera out or anything. But one of my best friends, i have hunted with probably 45 years , said we got some decent bucks around, we always do, but like anywhere, they aint exactly running over one another. He said we got a couple decent 8 's thats probably done all their going to do for the most part. Then i find a stainless cva , stainless mint, with scope, 150 . Im used to very good triggers on everything, so i said, is the trigger hard on it, he said no, probably 2 lb and no creek. 2lb trigger optima, and accura, but wolf no. He said im telling you it is . So i said, if the gun looks like you say, has a nice shiny bore and a crisp 2 lb trigger, i will, buy it. It was just what he said, but last night was the first chance i had to see it and buy it. So didnt hunt yesterday morning, couldnt have anyway, barely made it to the coffee pot. Yesterday evening, used his sons, probaly saw around 30 fawns and does, wind was bad and they were nervous, acted like a grizzly was about to jump out and get them. So get up this morning, i had kept 4 bullets and sabots, so if i did decide to go , or get another muzzleloader, sometime, i would at least have a start. My friend said he had a few bullets and sabots, not what i shoot bit he gave me 6. Set target up at 25 yards, 1st shot 4 inches to the left 2nd shot cut that hole, after 60 clicks they all touched close to the same hole , i was born at night , just not last night i told my friend this scope is stuck wont move trust me i tapped him plenty hard to move. So he gives me a 3x9x 50 tasco , very cheap but a decent scope. I use 3 of my 4 bullets, dialed in 2 inches high at 25, not exactly what i wanted but would do, especially when i only got one bullet left, so if im going huntin, gonna need it. Had only seen 8 does and fawns all afternoon. But i peek around right side of my blind he comes this guy at 60 yards he is kinda quartering, but stopped, from the angle, couldnt use my rest on my stand rail. Anyway, had to shoot off handed, My.mind is saying dont shoot, and use your tag, gonna miss gun season but my arms are raising the gun and looking thru the scope . I shoot, he jumps sideways , and then looks up my way, then just slowly walks off, stopped for about 25 seconds then takes off in a slow walk into grass higher than my truck. Friend texts did you get him, i said i really dont think, i touched a hair on him. Way he acted , they came , looked about 30 minutes, no blood before he went in that tall grass, only one that could probably ever found him in that would have been a buzzard, i told them lets go and look tomorrow , im thinking i had to have missed him someway. But je said let me get over here, to these woods and just look , and thats where he laid. He isnt a giant and i.knew he was one of the 8 s but im satisfied, probably as good as i would have done anyway. Hated to use my tag before gun season but i dont even know ifbi would have been able to go then anyway. Feel blessed the Lord let me pull the trigger on another one.
    Try to get a couple better pics tomorrow ,

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
  2. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    I killed a 145 class velvet buck first week of season a few years ago and it was awful to miss the rut action with no buck tag. Especially since I saw two that were bigger than I shot. On the other hand, you have to take the chance when it shows itself and be thankful. You got a nice buck but I feel your pain too. Congrats.

Grago likes this.
  3. Chilly

Chilly 10 pointer

Congratulations Grago!

Grago likes this.
  4. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    Way to go grago. You did good. Being tagged out in October is a good problem to have. Thanks for sharing your story. Love it!!

Grago likes this.
  5. Cornpile

Cornpile 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2006
    Kornfield County,KY
    Looks like you made that last bullet count on a real good buck,Congrats Grago

Grago likes this.
  6. PHILIPRILEY16

PHILIPRILEY16 6 pointer

Nov 7, 2009
    Congrats nothing better

7. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    Way to go Grago, congrats man that's awesome! Glad to hear you got a buck and not only a buck but that's a pretty nice buck! Way to persevere! Happy for you!

Grago likes this.
  8. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    Glad you killed him Grago! Congrats!

9. Grago

Grago 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2016
    Thank yall, i have a lot of mixed emotions , on this buck, Glad to get him, frustrated, i cant walk enough , to help him find it. Frustrated, dont have any strength to help them load him, Frustrated, i have to have my friend, come get me at my stand, cant walk out, having , pretty much have to have someone, to do everything, except the actual hunt. Frustrated, i aint got enough sense to just quit, had already decided not to go. But just want to do it so bad , this is my 54 th year . Hate to miss the craziness of the bucks in full rut. All that on one side, the other side, Thank God for all the bucks i have killed, and the life i have had chasing them, Thank God i got good enough friends,to take me to my stand and come and get me. To walk around out there, trying to find this buck, in grass higher than their head in a light rain , after they have hunted most of the day and wore out to begin with , Thankful they keep pushing me, not to throw in the towel, and just lay down, thankful they will field dress it for me. Thankful God let me have the strength to be able to pull the trigger on one more, i havent met many on this site, but a few, and the ones , i have met, were really nice and a pleasure to meet and talk to. But i feel like i know most of you, from just reading posts and look forward to seeing you guys pics and stories, especially the kids, i can honestly say , reading your posts and pics, and along with my good friends, here, have kept me going last couple years, here is a different pic, im not very good photographer , but kinda give you a idea, not a monster, i have killed bigger, but one that means a lot to me .

Attached Files:

10. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Congratulations

Grago likes this.
  11. ShellcrackerFishing

ShellcrackerFishing Spike

Nov 18, 2018
    Kuttawa Kentucky
    Hell yeah!! Awesome story and nice buck!!!

Grago likes this.
  12. Timholt70

Timholt70 8 pointer

Oct 25, 2019
    Christian county
    Congrats!can't keep a good man down!

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
  13. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    Grago I have limitations also. Not as severe as yours. But I can understand having to let other people do your work. It is frustrating. I’m glad you got Jesus in your heart and he let you go one more time and gave you a buck. Keep Jesus near you and you will be ok. Now you don’t have to worry about your cold feet!! LOL. You can still get a doe or three. Get you a permit to shoot from vehicle and keep them warm like that. God Bless

Dark Cloud and Grago like this.
  14. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    If the shoe was on the other foot and you had to help your friend in need I bet you would enjoy being able to and wouldn’t want them to feel bad about it. It probably gives them a sense of pride to be able to give you a hand. That’s what friends are about.

elmucho277 and dirtstalker like this.
  15. Grago

Grago 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2016
    Thanks Wildman, and to everybody, i would and have always done whatever i could to help anybody, and have done a lot for him.. Just frustrating to be like that, but again, thankful at the same time, here is a pic this morning, gonna be a good year, lot of good bucks out there and they gonna be crazy pretty soon, hate not to see it, but i look forward to seeing you guys pics, and stories as well as my friends here.

Attached Files:

1wildcatfan likes this.