Killed 3 yotes this morning!!!

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by Tim Herald, Jan 25, 2003.

1. Tim Herald

Tim Herald 6 pointer

Dec 27, 2001
    Lex., KY.
    I went out this morning and squeaked in 2 coyotes about 5 minutes apart right after daylight and hammered them, one at 75 yards and one at 100. Then I went to another farm and used my Knight & Hale e-call. As soon as I turned it on 3 yotes came charging out of a pine thicket and I dropped the closest one. It was a lot of fun.

Good Hunting...Tim H.

2. onearrow

onearrow Spike

Sep 25, 2002
    Central, KY
    Congradulations Tim!
    I called in two this morning with a Knight&Hale hand squealer but they hung up about 200 yrds. out and keep pacing back and forth across a small clearing.I really didn't know what to do in that situation, after about 10 min they took off troting.What do you guys think I should've done to have got them closer?TODD

3. Darton73

Darton73 6 pointer

Dec 9, 2001
    Hey Todd,

I'm a coyote newbie myself, but from what I've read, you may try a squeaker or even making a kissing sound with your lips to coax them in the final yards. A decoy may also help.

Brian Grossman
    Darton73@alltel.net

4. Wildcat

Wildcat 12 pointer

Jan 7, 2002
    Ledbetter, Ky.
    onearrow,
    What firearm was you using? When I go coyote hunting I take my 22-250 and it's zeroed in at 200 yards and would have taken a shot there.Lip squeakes help sometimes to draw them in closer. If you use a decoy make sure you shot the yote before he can make his move on it, he will try to move in closer and then when he's ready he'll run and grap the decoy and take it with him. Also when using decoys keep your eyes open for hawks and owls, they will fly in and take your decoy if your not careful. decoys are like everything else in coyote hunting, they don't always work.

5. onearrow

onearrow Spike

Sep 25, 2002
    Central, KY
    I was using my 7mm mag which is a little overkill but dead is dead.The place they were in just didn't offer a clear shot.The squeaker was the first thing I tried and one of them took about 10 steps toward me then run back to the other one.The decoy sounds good what kind do you recommend.Maybe I was over calling.Do you guys ever change calls when one hangs up?TODD

6. Wildcat

Wildcat 12 pointer

Jan 7, 2002
    Ledbetter, Ky.
    Most people say the Predator Supreme Decoy is the best. Here's a good place to go to for anything you ever wanted to know about coyote hunting, go to their talk forum and to Calling in the East. Read the topic Calling Tactics and Sounds. It's almost a book into it self.

www.predatormastersforums.com