Key West

RDL270

Cyber-Hunter
Apr 14, 2003
Fern Creek KY
Wife has a conference in Miami. Thinking about heading down and meeting her for a long weekend. Thought about driving down to Key West. Any suggestions on what to do or see while we are there?

Navy Bowhunter

6 pointer
Jun 25, 2013
Knifley, KY
During my time in fighter squadrons, I have probably accumulated two years in Key West. The fishing is amazing but the charters can be a bit pricey depending what species are running. On your way down around mile marker 25 or so is Sugarloaf Key. There is a little place called Mangrove Mama's on the right that has great seafood and it's not as expensive as the restaurants in KW. Duvall St in KW is the party place. All the bars and shopping is pretty much contained on that strip and the north side piers. Earnest Hemingway house is a neat little tour and Sloppy Joes bar and Hogs Breath saloon is a must. All the bars usually have good bands. Make sure you know what's going on down there prior to making the trip. They are famous for their alternative lifestyle festivals. Lots of gay and lesbian stuff. We make a joke about staying north of the clock tower because all the gay bars and drag queen places are south of the clock on Duvall st. Fogarty's on Duval is great food sitting outside. Just PM me if you have any questions and I will try to answer them.

inchr48

10 pointer
May 14, 2013
NW Indiana
We fished out of Big Pine, and stayed on Little Torch Key. Easy drive to KW. Great food and music. Sunset cruise on a big sail boat (Western Union), and day trip to Ft. Jefferson in the Dry Tortugas were fun.

Dolphin Research Center I believe on Marathon Key was neat too.

timer

12 pointer
Feb 20, 2013
La Grange
The one thing you must do in Key West is watch the sun set. Mallory Square is where folks gather for this daily event. Very, very eclectic group of folks.

Some of my favorite things to do....

Watch the sunset and have the Key Lime Pie at the Pier House

Sloppy Joe's is the best bar.

One of my favorite restaurants anywhere is "My Blue Heaven." Don't be fooled by the setting....the food is amazing.

The Margaritaville Cafe is fun, over-priced but fun.

Do not miss the Half Shell Raw Bar.

Louie's Backyard is expensive, but worth it.

There are many great places to eat....Lots of fun stuff to do. A very laid back place - great for a weekend.

patiodadio

8 pointer
Mar 22, 2014
Sloppy Joe's bar for sure.
Hemingway House, take the tour.
Mel Fisher Maritime Museum
If you have a boat check out Dry Tortugas national park

smashdn

12 pointer
Nov 24, 2003
Palmyra, Kentucky
Snorkel the reef.

Everything else I could have lived without doing down there. I suspect the fishing is much better now than in the early fall when i went some years back.

I'd find an off the beaten path seafood place in one of the upper keys and do that. Spend one afternoon/evening on Duvall street just to say you have done it. Go ahead and get a pic with the southernmost point buoy too.

Navy Bowhunter

6 pointer
Jun 25, 2013
Knifley, KY
The little Key Deer are worth the trip

BoB
Thats funny. I was fishing off the bridge between Big Pine and No Name Key a few years back. It was about midnight and I heard something trotting down the bridge. Then I heard a lot of trotting and galloping. I turned just in time to get out of the way of a herd of Key Deer. Cute little things. Freaked me out at first.

Zeb

8 pointer
May 20, 2008
Prospect, KY
During my time in fighter squadrons, I have probably accumulated two years in Key West. The fishing is amazing but the charters can be a bit pricey depending what species are running. On your way down around mile marker 25 or so is Sugarloaf Key. There is a little place called Mangrove Mama's on the right that has great seafood and it's not as expensive as the restaurants in KW. Duvall St in KW is the party place. All the bars and shopping is pretty much contained on that strip and the north side piers. Earnest Hemingway house is a neat little tour and Sloppy Joes bar and Hogs Breath saloon is a must. All the bars usually have good bands. Make sure you know what's going on down there prior to making the trip. They are famous for their alternative lifestyle festivals. Lots of gay and lesbian stuff. We make a joke about staying north of the clock tower because all the gay bars and drag queen places are south of the clock on Duvall st. Fogarty's on Duval is great food sitting outside. Just PM me if you have any questions and I will try to answer them.
Great advice. My wife flew into Miami a couple of times to meet me after some work stuff and we headed south. The only thing I can think to add is time your drive to avoid the worst of the traffic if possible. The views on the drive down are more than enough reason to make the trip. It's been a while but little has changed other than hotel prices.

xbokilla

12 pointer
Jun 28, 2012
Go to SW Fl about every summer but for some reason haven't took the time to go on to the Keys. When I do go I think we'll boat from Naples or Ft. Myers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RDL270

Cyber-Hunter
Apr 14, 2003
Fern Creek KY
Thanks everyone appreciate the advice. Lungblood thanks for the charter boat offer. This is one of those trips where I'm making it about her........(got some deer hunting trips this fall) Always good to make momma happy. I would love to fish...........its killing me. LOL. R&R is what's on the list. Thanks again everyone.

Latest posts