Kentucky's Gun Season

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by MAKEemQUIVER, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Labrador

Labrador 8 pointer

Dec 14, 2001
    KY
    New Proposal

OK, you got me. Deer wouldn't be running everywhere to get away from all the pressure, and there wouldn't be arrows flying everywhere like there are bullets during opening weekend, and there wouldn't be more opportunities for the skilled archers and a few lucky SOBs that happen to stick a mature buck by accident. There's no way to prove or disprove the theory; it was more a matter of principle anyway. But...I have a new proposal that should suit (almost) everyone:

Move rifle season out of the rut: have it start the first Saturday in September and run for 16 consecutive days (depending upon zone). The rabbit and grouse hunters can have their dear November back, the waterfowl hunters (early goose, teal, and woodduck season) are already exempt from having to wear orange, only the few dove hunters that didn't get out on Sept 1 and a handful of squirrel hunters will be affected. PROBLEM SOLVED!!! We'll have so many mature bucks running around within three years that everyone will have a B&C record-maker ... since we won't be gun hunting during the rut ;)

2. Quickdraw Limpsalot

Quickdraw Limpsalot 12 pointer

Sep 16, 2005
    Larue Co.
    C'mon now! You can't let a deer hang in September!

3. nwest

nwest 12 pointer

I would love to see early ML season be a full week in Oct. That is a great time to be in the woods.

4. WaterDog88

WaterDog88 10 pointer

Jul 28, 2008
    Kentucky
    ....+1....

5. racsr

racsr 10 pointer

May 7, 2009
    morgan county ky
    ----------- I agree!

6. BadDuck

BadDuck 12 pointer

Aug 13, 2007
    Bullitt County
    The deer wouldnt be running everywhere from all the pressure? Tell me how a half million bowhunters creates less pressure than a half million gun hunters?

I am sick of you bow hunting elite. Keep up with your sniveling snotty brat ways and we wont have to worry about it. HUnting will be a thing of the past.

I hunt with a bow, a muzzleloader, pistol and a rifle. I for one am sick you self righteous bow hunters flaming away at anyone who doesnt hunt like you.

Hell, I bet you hunt with a modern compound bow dont you? If you are going to alienate people do it right. I say a complete ban on compound bows. Archery season should be open only to traditional archery equipment. You compound boys have too much of a advantage and are not real deer hunters.

7. Well said. Agreed!

8. BossGobbler

BossGobbler 6 pointer

Sep 21, 2006
    Honey Hole,Ky
    Later Gun Season

I would like a little later season for modern firearms,seems the biggest bucks that I have taken all have come from the second weekend ???

9. sleepybear

sleepybear Fawn

Aug 8, 2009
    Kentuckys Gun season

Sorry..but I disagree,gun season has been on the 2nd sat. of Nov.for as long as I can remember but I'm old.....Besides the the breeding phase changes from year to year.

10. browningshutr

browningshutr 8 pointer

Apr 18, 2009
    Northern Ky

AMEN Brother!!!!!!

11. sixxfan26

sixxfan26 10 pointer

Oct 4, 2004
    Butler, Kentucky, USA.
    You're telling me that bowhunters don't already have plenty time in the woods before gun season begins? Sept 5 to Nov 8 is more than a full month of hunting.
    Why on earth would we need an extra week?