Kentucky WMAs

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by fast82, Dec 15, 2014.

1. fast82

fast82 6 pointer

Dec 12, 2010
    I think the KDFW should just quit beating around the bush and do what they want and open all WMAs for an early gun hunt first weekend of Nov. Better yet give the gunners an extra buck tag for the hunt that should clean um out real good.

2. randy grider

randy grider 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Burgin, KY
  3. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
  4. 8&sand

8&sand 12 pointer

Someone upset over "their" WMA having a quota hunt?

5. Teach Deer

Teach Deer 6 pointer

Aug 4, 2013
    Georgetown
    As silly as it sounds...yes...at least just a bit...

Of course the WMA I am referencing is KY River in Owen/Henry Co...the KDFWR proposed opening it for a Nov Quota hunt in 2015 after it being archery only for nearly 15 years...

It is a great area to hunt--my issue is that during a Quota hunt only those hunters have access to the area...with Quota hunts going on at Kleber & Rich, Taylorsville, Veterans, etc, this WMA has been my best area to hunt that first weekend in November...

Guess I have to apply for the Quota hunt...or simply not let the 130 inch 10 pts walk in hopes of them being a B&C the next year...

6. 8&sand

8&sand 12 pointer

Maybe & this is just me thinking here. If more does had been taken a quota gun but wouldn't be needed?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  7. fast82

fast82 6 pointer

Dec 12, 2010
    You think the gun quota is going to have a buck to doe harvest ratio like the bowhunters have been putting down. I highly doubt it. Kentucky River is rough terrain and long walks these old boys are going to be hunting for a nice buck way back in there not does.

8. fast82

fast82 6 pointer

Dec 12, 2010
    Teach deer got it about as right as it gets. Thanks. Most people that use this area had no idea this was happening.

9. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    Have things changes out there? I used to bowhunt during gun season and locals "wore it out" hunting with lead....some wearing orange, some not. I finally quit going out there.....talked to COs on multiple occassions and they acknowledged they had heard similar stories but 'tough to prove'. Finally decided it wasn't worth a confrontation with someone with a weapon that makes more noise than mine :)!!

10. fast82

fast82 6 pointer

Dec 12, 2010
    Yeh it's gun hunted hard all the way around it with some peaking in a little bit. The tract I hunt doesn't have anymore deer than I got on my farms in laurel co. but because it's been bow only for years it has some older age class bucks something I can't get on my local spots.

11. fast82

fast82 6 pointer

Dec 12, 2010
    I got a question kinda unrelated but if you combine Kleber and Rich the acreage is almost the same as Kentucky river and Kleber and Rich both have quota hunts. They are in the same Co. why is the total harvest so much lower on Kleber and Rich. Any ideas.

12. fast82

fast82 6 pointer

Dec 12, 2010