KENTUCKY RUT TIMING (EASTERN) READ!

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Lowcountry, Oct 22, 2019.

Eastern KY RUT- When would you go 2019 1st or 2nd week SAT-SAT?

Poll closed Nov 6, 2019.
  1. 1st week NOV 2-9 BOW

48.1%
  2. 2nd week NOV 9-16 Rifle

51.9%
  1. Lowcountry

Lowcountry Fawn

Oct 19, 2019
    Greenup KY
    Hello all. New member here and previous KY resident. I have hunted the hills of Eastern KY (specifically Greenup/SouthShore) for 3 years in the past. Hill hunting is no joke and difficult. I have a trip with a buddy coming up and we can not decide to go the first week of November or the second. The[​IMG]

1st will still be bow season, while the 2nd will be rifle opener. We do not care either way but I would like yalls opinion on whether this years temps, lunar phase, etc will be more conducive for the first or second week. Ive looked at all types of resources and can not decide when to go. So either NOV 2-9 OR NOV 9-16. Ive been there during rifle and know how crazy it can get but ive also taken my biggest to date during rifle there too.. Check out the pic. Thanks in advance!

2. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    there’s no rt answer really. The first 3 weeks of nov is the $hit. Hunt every day u can within that time. But it’s all according what weapon u prefer to use. Trying to nail down one of those weeks is a crap shoot. Wish u the best!

3. Lowcountry

Lowcountry Fawn

Oct 19, 2019
    Greenup KY
    My concerns with the first week are that the weather will have been warm up until that point.. The forecast shows the weather just starting to drop to norms come NOV 1. I hear you though and thanks for the reply. I am pretty pumped. There will be no other activities I am there for the week just to hunt.

mudhole crossing likes this.
  4. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    I said first, but look at the long range weather forecast..

It hard to predict this far out but it's worth a shot

Personally I would take both.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  5. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Guess it depends on whether you prefer to bow or gun hunt. You can always bow hunt but I hate doing it with an orange vest.
    From past experience, I see a lot of bucks on there feet cruising that first week of November. The first week of gun season hasn't been as fruitful to our camp as the second weekend. Not sure if they are locking down that week or what but we've killed bigger bucks the second week.

6. Chilly

Chilly 10 pointer

"Rutting Moon" is Oct 31. Prime seek / chase period is predicted Oct 28-Nov9

Breeding Window Nov 7 - 21

Hunt Both Weeks!

Todd H and Joe Bryan like this.
  7. Cornpile

Cornpile 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2006
    Kornfield County,KY
    Man,that is a tough choice. A week is a short window to get on a
    mature buck with a bow. You would be hunting in a prime time for big bucks
    to be on the move.That could help,maybe.
    On the other hand the second week is also in prime time and with a rifles range ,it would
    be some what easier to down that mountain buck.You dont have to close the gap to make the kill.
    A week,a rifle would be my choice.
    Good Luck to you

mac0492 and mudhole crossing like this.
  8. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Not scouting and patterned deer ,to come and bow hunt would be a challenge. I would take the week with a rifle you get the added bonus of neighboring pressure moving deer plus the added reach out there and touch sumpin for a successful hunt. Don't forget to take your buddy over to Ribbers to celebrate.

9. mudhole crossing

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    What everybody else is saying. If I had to choose one week to kill a buck,I’d go for the 2nd week. If ur a absolutely a bow kinda guy and don’t want nothing to do with a gun, huntvthe first week.

mac0492 likes this.
  10. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
  11. mac0492

mac0492 8 pointer

Oct 15, 2013
    FF66E157-8646-42F2-A49D-0DF08CC0B116.png
    someone posted this last year so I kept it. I love to bow hunt but during the rut I like to have more reach so I use a rifle. Getting a bruiser on a hot doe to come stand still within 30 yards is almost impossible. By the dates shown here, the second week would be prime chasing. Like I said, I’m not sure who posted this originally or where it came from...

Lowcountry likes this.
  12. mudhole crossing

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    :cool::cool:
    Unless ur in with a group of tv hunters that own adjoining properties than cover 20000 acres

1wildcatfan likes this.
  13. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    That's been our experience as well.

14. Low Bird

Low Bird 6 pointer

Apr 4, 2005
    ol man kelsey's crick
    I personally love the week before gun opener. I’ve killed many pope and young’s that week. Plus, not near as many people in the woods. Whichever you decide... good luck!

120+ likes this.
  15. supergoat80

supergoat80 10 pointer

Aug 31, 2012
    All it takes is a hunter to see one hot doe and he will have the best hunt of his life. That can happen anytime. If it were me I’d pick the first or third week.

Lowcountry and Junglekat like this.