Kentucky is the Worst State to Retire in

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by JR in KY, Jan 14, 2020.

1. wprebeck

wprebeck 12 pointer

Jun 7, 2004
    Louisville, KY.
    Kentucky sucks, as far as the government that runs the place. The politicians are beholden to the horse racing industry, who want to control any and all expanded gaming. That's why you see revenue flowing into Indiana and Ohio, rather than staying in Kentucky.

I just moved to a place 45 minutes south of Murray, in Tennessee. No income tax at all, and my paycheck saw an immediate boost during the two months I commuted from home to work. While sales tax sucks down here, we do our major grocery trips in Murray. Saves money and the wife drives a Prius, so no gas concerns.

No worries about stupid people screwing things up, as of now, either. Gun laws are almost as good as KY and the hunting is just as good - if not better. And taxes....with the exception of sales tax, EVERYTHING is better here. My property tax rose about $200/year here. Of course, I went from a tiny home with a half acre in Louisville to 45 acres and a house over double the size of the one we sold. Car registration ran me approximately $140 for two, one of which is a specialty tag. In Louisville, my Expedition cost me over $500 on its own.

While I spent the vast majority of my life in Kentucky, I'm glad to be back in the true South. My formative years - before my parents' nasty divorce - found me in rural Alabama. So, I'm almost home, just in a spot with much better duck hunting.

2. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    I'm going to find out who wrote this list of states and thank them. Maybe this will keep the Northern Leftists from migrating here and ruining KY like they have their Northern states.

3. zone1

zone1 6 pointer

Jan 3, 2011
    Own homes in Kentucky (7 months) Florida (5 months). Everything in Florida is more expensive. Not even close. Health care can't say that Florida is any better. Quality of life depends on what you are looking for. Florida better in winter time and Kentucky better the rest of the year.

JR in KY likes this.
  4. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Depends on where and how you choose to live in Florida. I know a couple who retired and moved to Florida. Sold their house here and with what they got out of their house here he bought a nice 1800sqFt home with screened in lanai/small pool and all the little Florida plant/flower landscaping plus a pretty nice run about type boat. Paid in full. Did they downgrade a bit, yes, but that was the retirement plan. I live in Lexington. Living expenses aren’t horrible but buying a home is crazy high and your not getting land! I know a lot depends on where you live in Ky as well.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  5. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Guess those up north and down south have found out about my area. New homeowners are from both north and south. Last few years have been doctors buying homes around me that have retired. All have been good neighbors so far.

JR in KY likes this.
  6. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    That’s the thing I’ve found out about Lexington. I don’t know if it’s UK, all the hospitals or other jobs, or what, but seems like a lot of people are from out of state originally.

7. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    Tons of federal workers I know transferred to Kentucky just too retire because of the retirement tax breaks. The cost of living at least in my part of kentucky is the cheapest I’ve seen anywhere.
    Kentucky ain’t perfect but it’s better than most. To me anyway.
    I’ve hunted and fished and trapped in every border state we have. I’d take kentucky for the outdoors over all of them.

TripleGee and JR in KY like this.
  8. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    That was my thoughts exactly

barney likes this.
  9. TripleGee

TripleGee 12 pointer

Sep 13, 2003
    Somerset
    JR,
    If you'll sell me a little piece down by the creek I'll put in that lil farmhouse with two porches and a garden and I promise I'll shoot all revenuers and census takers trying to make their way up to you!

Feedman likes this.
  10. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    Sounds like a winner to me!