Kentucky is the Worst State to Retire in

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by JR in KY, Jan 14, 2020.

1. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    The way I see this is it's a GOOD Thing.
    I hope this BS report gets publicized up North really extensively and no more Yankees move down here.
    Just look at what has happened to #1 Florida and #2 Colorado......

Kentucky is worst state to retire in, new study says
    Source: WalletHub
    By WKYT News Staff |
    Posted: Tue 5:01 AM, Jan 14, 2020
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    LEXINGTON, Ky. (WKYT) - Not only should you consider when to retire, but where to retire as well.

[​IMG]
    WalletHub compared the 50 states across dozens of key indicators to find out which states are the most retire-friendly. Kentucky ranked dead last.

Affordability, health expenses and quality of life were some of the categories.

In the 2020 study, Kentucky scored 41.89 points, the lowest of all 50 states. That's despite Kentucky not being the worst in any of the three categories.

For affordability, Kentucky ranked 32nd. The commonwealth ranked 46th for quality of life and 48th for health care.

Rounding out WalletHub's top five worst states to retire in for 2020 are New Mexico(49th), Rhode Island, New Jersey and West Virginia(46th).

Florida ranked as the best place to retire, followed by Colorado, New Hampshire, Utah and Wyoming

Regulator623, Dark Cloud and barney like this.
  2. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    Well I can guarantee you it's way better than a lot of other states. They give you $31k of retirement income tax free, be it IRA/Roth withdrawls or pension/SSA and there are many many states that don't give you a penny free. Some states don't tax retirement income at all but they get ya with other taxes and fees. Some of em you can't afford to buy a house! Some of em they are like a rat race. I'll take the quiet vs the rat race, the minimal traffic vs the 3 hr drive to get home from work, the constant pressure on our 2A rights. etc etc

3. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    From a New York Times article...

A SPOT in western Kentucky, a state previously known mainly for coal mining and agriculture, is now on the map as the best place to spend one's golden years.

The area of Murray, Ky., and Kentucky Lake led a survey called Rand McNally's Retirement Places Rated, beating out places in Florida, California and Arizona.

None of this surprises 74-year-old Holmes Ellis, who has been Mayor of Murray for 22 years. ''We have a very good quality of life,'' he said. The area has attracted many retired people, and Mr. Ellis said the ranking ''will just reinforce their choice.''

Lee Schissler, executive director of the Advertising and Promotion Commission in Hot Springs, Ark., ranked No. 3, said the survey's editors have ''just handed me a brick of gold.''

''The per-capita worth of the retirees is about double most other folks,'' he said, adding that retired people moving into the area are ''a major source of income for the city.''

The report's authors, David Savageau and Richard Boyer, gave equal weight to six factors in determining the best places for the 250,000 retired people who move each year. In matters of money, Murray stood 17th of the 131 cities ranked; it was 55th in climate, 11th in personal safety, 31st in services, 19th in housing and 93d in leisure living.

''There are places with better climate in the book, and there are places with a lower cost of living, and 92 of them have more things to do,'' said Mr. Savageau. ''But on balance, Murray-Kentucky Lake has more to offer in general.''

New York City was not part of the survey.

''It's not that New York was in the running and dropped out,'' Mr. Boyer said. ''We were looking at smaller places.''

''Not to say that New York wouldn't be a good place to retire - if you could afford it,'' he added.

The authors said they used demographic evidence and expert advice to choose the 131 areas they examined. A previous edition in 1983 looked at 107 locations.

Near the bottom of the list were three spots in New York and two in New Jersey: Canandaigua, N.Y., which was ranked No. 120; New Paltz-Ulster County, N.Y. (123); Columbia County, N.Y. (124); Cape May, N.J. (126); Ocean County, N.J. (128), and Monticello-Liberty, N.Y. (129).

Some traditional Sun Belt retirement spots have lost ground because of escalating crime rates, the survey said. The area of West Palm Beach-Boca Raton-Delray Beach, Fla., for example, was ranked 130th for personal safety because of a crime rate far higher than the national average. 1. Murray-Kentucky Lake, Ky. 2. Clayton-Clarkesville, Ga. 3. Hot Springs-Lake Ouachita, Ark. 4. Grand Lake-Lake Tenkiller, Okla. 5. Fayetteville, Ark. 6. Saint George-Zion, Utah 7. Brownsville-Harlingen, Tex. 8. Bloomington-Brown County, Ind. 9. San Antonio 10. Port Angeles-Strait of Juan de Fuca, Wash. 11. Mountain Home-Bull Shoals, Ark. 12. Charleston, S.C. 13. Bellingham, Wash. 14. Athens-Cedar Creek, Tex. 15. Biloxi-Gulfport, Miss. 16. Branson-Cassville-Table Rock Lake, Mo. 17. Franklin County, Tenn. 18. Hamilton-Bitterroot Valley, Mont. 19. Southport, N.C. 20. Blacksburg, Va. 21. Asheville, N.C. 22. Daytona Beach, Fla. 23. Crossville, Tenn. 24. McAllen-Edinburg-Mission, Tex. 25. Kalispell, Mont. 26. Medford-Ashland, Ore. 27. Canton-Lake Tawakoni, Tex. 28. Coeur d'Alene, Idaho 29. Flagstaff, Ariz. 30. St. Petersburg-Clearwater, Fla. 31. Redding, Calif. 32. Hendersonville-Brevard, N.C. 33. Springfield, Mo. 34. Oscoda-Huron Shore, Mich. 35. Lakeland-Winterhaven, Fla. 36. Camden-Penobscot Bay, Me. 37. Twain Harte-Yosemite, Calif. 38. Paris-Big Sandy, Tenn. 39. Prescott, Ariz. 40. Brunswick-Golden Isles, Ga. 41. Fort Myers-Cape Coral, Fla. 42. Phoenix, Ariz. 43. Las Cruces, N.M. 44. Missoula, Mont. 45. Eugene-Springfield, Ore. 46. Tucson, Ariz. 47. Hanover, N.H. 48. Bend, Ore. 49. Melbourne-Titusville-Palm Bay, Fla. 50. Gainesville, Lake Lanier, Ga. 51. Miami-Hialeah, Fla. 52. Panama City, Fla. 53. Chico-Paradise, Calif. 54. Front Royal, Va. 55. Bar Harbor-Frenchman Bay, Me. 56. Athens, Ga. 57. Fairhope-Gulf Shores, Ala. 58. Fredericksburg, Tex. 59. Eagle River, Wis. 60. Ocala, Fla. 61. Rhinelander, Wis. 62. San Diego, Calif. 63. Fort Walton Beach, Fla. 64. Virginia Beach-Norfolk, Va. 65. Red Bluff-Sacramento Valley, Calif. 66. Grand Junction, Colo. 67. Yuma, Ariz. 68. Kerrville, Tex. 69. Burnet-Marble Falls-Llano, Tex. 70. Roswell, N.M. 71. Sarasota, Fla. 72. Myrtle Beach, S.C. 73. Orlando, Fla. 74. Olympia, Wash. 75. Traverse City-Grand Traverse Bay, Mich. 76. Ocean City-Assateague Island, Md. 77. Amherst-Northampton, Mass. 78. State College, Pa. 79. Albuquerque, N.M. 80. Fort Collins-Loveland, Colo. 81. San Luis Obispo, Calif. 82. Austin, Tex. 83. Kauai, Hawaii 84. Lake Havasu City-Kingman, Ariz. 85. Petosky-Straits of Mackinac, Mich. 86. Deming, N.M. 87. Newport-Lincoln City, Ore. 88. Charlottesville, Va. 89. Rehoboth Bay-Indian River Bay, Del. 90. Lexington, Ky. 91. Oak Harbor-Whidbey Island, Wash. 92. Chapel Hill, N.C. 93. Houghton Lake, Mich. 94. Door County, Wis. 95. Bradenton, Fla. 96. Winchester, Va. 97. Bennington, Vt. 98. Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood-Pompano Beach, Fla. 99. Hilton Head-Beaufort, S.C. 100. Maui, Hawaii

davers likes this.
  4. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I hope they spread this propaganda..... Keep the idiots away....

EC likes this.
  5. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    To each his own, most rankings and data can be made to say whatever you want them to say. US News and World Report ranks Lexington as a top US city to live in every year. Seems like it was 30th in 2019 but it has cracked the top 10 before.

6. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Hope you’re right and if any of you ever have people from other states move near you to retire, I hope they’re not idiot a-holes like the ones who moved in by my mom and dad.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    Dark Cloud likes this.
  7. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    I know lots of retired people who wouldn’t want to be anywhere else. I think their system of ranking is retarded if you put Florida at the top of the list. You couldn’t pay me to live in that dump

8. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    Circa 1987....

drakeshooter likes this.
  9. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Forbes has Ky as one of the better states to retire in.

FOWLER2671 and drakeshooter like this.
  10. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Murray was at the top of the list for a couple of years back then.

FOWLER2671 and drakeshooter like this.
  11. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    Greenup, ky, USA.
    I wouldn't put it dead last that's BS . At least top 20.

12. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Love SW Florida. Wouldn’t live in many east coast places or right down the middle where it’s a sweat box with no breeze, but below Tampa I like. It has become more and more crowded through the years since people started figuring out if you don’t buy on the water that it’s actually very affordable. I haven’t been to enough places to rank it at the top.

13. Yep I remember watching the Today Show doing live interviews with folks in Murray that morning. You know, back before NBC became the PR wing of the D Party.

FOWLER2671 likes this.
  14. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    "Florida ranked as the best place to retire..."

Sure. After the article whined about the "study" Wallethub touted, obviously cost wasn't a factor to the self proclaimed experts. Best place for what? Ripping off old folks? There's a lot of conning of the old folks down there.

15. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    Cripes! You go way back to James Madison??

drakeshooter likes this.