Kentucky Grouse Hunting

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by nordmanky, Nov 21, 2012.

1. bone hunter 74

bone hunter 74 Spike

Apr 26, 2009
    SANDY HOOK,KY
    I'm the same as trust me I know where a few are always at old coverts that are getting to mature as time goes on. If it was not for that I would sell out, I travel to hunt The U.P. every fall. Right now I'm in Nebraska hunting sharp tail and prairie chickens. When I was young in the early 90's birds where, every where I hunted that is why I wanted a dog figured it would be easy hunting was I fooled lol. But as the turkey, hawks, owls, etc. pop. climb the birds have gone away. i think it's mostly the timber in general is to mature, the reason I say that is I DON'T find turkey or sign of turkey where I find good numbers of grouse. Good coverts are not what turkey prefer, when they are good sized not the one bird kind of cover.

2. no.5 Buckshot

no.5 Buckshot Spike

Jan 1, 2009
    Cumberland Ky
    I live in Harlan co. and we have plenty of good enough cover for grouse. I hunted the up's for the 1st time last year and again this year and you have to hunt where the right cover is even up there and that's not just anywhere in the woods. Even then you have to find the birds but at least there there to be found. I've hunted the last 4 days hard. I saw 5 the 1st day, 12 the next and 2 the next and 1 and 1 woodcock yesterday . We have cayote's of 2 kinds, the 4 legged 1's and the 2 legged 1's ( road hunter's shooting from the truck. ). I've run across 1 guy with a couple of 14 years old girls Where I hade been seeing alot of bird's. Anybody has the right to hunt but when I do I do it right. And if I'm going to teach somebody I'm going to teach them right. Just thought I'd throw that in.

3. nordmanky

nordmanky Fawn

Nov 16, 2012
    I appreciate all of the responses to my post. Even though going North sounds like the easiest way to find birds, I think we are going to stay here in Kentucky and try to hunt locally. GSP, I am going to take your advice and talk with the people at DBNF. To me, success will come from putting in the long hours and walking the rough terrain to find grouse in my home state. We are going out to hunt on Sunday, so I will post the results of our hunt next week. Again, thanks for the help.

4. GSP

GSP 14 Pointer Staff Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    Good luck to you and I do mean it!

5. trapshooter

trapshooter 6 pointer

Jan 3, 2012
    Hungry Hill Ashland,Ky
    i like burd huntin & i like dogs, so if i got a pet dog, it mite as well be a burd huntin setter pet

6. no.5 Buckshot

no.5 Buckshot Spike

Jan 1, 2009
    Cumberland Ky
    That's the right breed as you can see from gsp's puppy pic he needs to change his name from gsp to ess for english setters. :D

7. Brawny

Brawny Fawn

Dec 5, 2007
    End of the line
    Welcome to the club, wish you the best of luck it is a great sport. Hard to call it a sport here anymore but hope springs eternal. :D