Kentucke 1784

Discussion in 'D.I.Y.' started by aaronc, May 20, 2020.

1. aaronc

aaronc 12 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield

As far as these horns go I hang out with a guy in Elizabethtown named Bill Smith..he's a bag and horn maker. I can make a horn and have had a hand in making many I've posted including this one...but it is his business....anything I make off of the horn is from the scrimshaw. I'd say 90% of the scrimshawed horns I've posted are sold or were "requested custom jobs" such as this one. Simple things like "Join or Die" actually isn't to bad to do and it adds up a little $...custom jobs like this I go over the top on because I'm really into the subject matter...just really to see what I can do. So to answer your question just some occasional scrimshaw....enough to buy a few files here and there.

I've got about 4 or so powder horn scrimshaw jobs I'm committed to and then I'm not taking any for a while...I have my own projects and some for the kid I want to do. I have also done a couple of pen and inks...I have very seriously entertained the idea of doing something like a "Kentucky Axe and Tool Co." themed 1930 ish hardware store style pen and ink...making copies...and seeing if anyone would be interested. That would be the positive about the pen and ink's ...I could actually have prints made.

I take it serious,..ain't no good at it and it's all on the primitive side,..but if you gave me a winning powerball ticket I'd be doing this stuff everyday untill I couldn't. It's tip of the spear on the happy scale for me.

Drahts and EdLongshanks like this.
  2. aaronc

aaronc 12 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield

Just saw the last part,..you can send me a PM of what you have in mind...I'd say at least a year before I could start on anything.

EdLongshanks likes this.
  3. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    I’d just like anything that pertains to Kentucky. Definitely doesn’t have to be a horn or anything else. I just think it’s too damn cool.

4. aaronc

aaronc 12 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield
    Tell you what,..when I get my powder horn back log completed and since you don't care what it is....we'll get together and see what we come up with...;)

barney likes this.
  5. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Love it and name your price. I’d love to just have something like that hanging in my new family room.

carnivore likes this.
  6. aaronc

aaronc 12 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield

You'd be the first one I charged what my time is worth,..ain't no since in starting now...I won't hit ya too hard on it. If you like it enough to hang in your family room we'll figure it out.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
  7. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    I’m not a beggar and I want something to put on the wall. Let me know. My wife would love it. Seriously.

aaronc likes this.
  8. aaronc

aaronc 12 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield
    Well,...alrighty Ed.

EdLongshanks likes this.
  9. aaronc

aaronc 12 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield
    Speaking of I owe my wife a pen and ink bird print,...but ...about the year mark I should be caught up powder horns and all.

EdLongshanks likes this.
  10. aaronc

aaronc 12 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield
    Owner of the horn wanted something referencing his Ky Corps of Longriflemen #,...I did an abbreviated version in Old English script on a radius over his name. Best Place I could find for it...didn't want to do the long winded wordy version as you start to get away from the true theme of the horn. No ink is down yet,..everything just penciled and scribed today.

Attached Files:

barney likes this.
  11. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Great Work

aaronc likes this.
  12. aaronc

aaronc 12 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield
    I hijacked this off of a model ship forum,..it's some sort of contract related to some 50 gun ships. While it's dated slightly earlier than the powder horns related to the revolution at 1693,...it's still a kickin document with some vintage Old English script on it. I'm on the prowl for a book or 2 loaded up with documents from this era give or take....early American or before.

upload_2021-3-25_20-36-47.png

Dark Cloud, Feedman and barney like this.
  13. aaronc

aaronc 12 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield
    First pass of ink on the "ky corps #,..." today. Looks pretty clean,..will give it a once over tomorrow and a final ink and clean up on the next inking. Next session (hopefully tomorrow) I will be laying out "Indian Territory". Notice how it falls in behind the scroll and other things on the map look overlaid on top of it. We will be doing something of similar fashion..I've actually been waiting for this...I like the wordage and also love how it is slightly hidden....great concept :)..had to get the map out tonight and take some better close ups for some print outs tomorrow.

Attached Files:

Dark Cloud, bondhu, Munson and 2 others like this.
  14. aaronc

aaronc 12 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield
    "Indian Territory" sketched up. Had to finish a little tail on the map before I started on it,..going to let it sit over night and see what I think about it.

upload_2021-3-31_18-0-40.png

bondhu, Dark Cloud, Munson and 2 others like this.
  15. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.