Kentucke 1784

Discussion in 'D.I.Y.' started by aaronc, May 20, 2020.

1. aaronc

aaronc 12 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield
    First pass of ink over all this script...and newer part of cartouche. Have some touch up and going over to do but heavy work is done here. Will finish this next few sessions then on to map details.

Attached Files:

Dark Cloud, barney and Munson like this.
  2. aaronc

aaronc 12 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield
    Here is what we got from todays touch up work ....pretty happy with the "his horn" scroll...calling that piece done. Probably hit the compass rose again just a few minutes tomorrow before finishing the cartouche box. Some of the line work shows on the map..but I don't care for that much of it showing..just want the shaded triangles to be 1 notch darker.

Attached Files:

Drahts, Feedman and Dark Cloud like this.
  3. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Whoever gets that horn ,should be mighty proud ,and appreciate the art ,and hard work that went into it.Very beautiful piece sir ,you should be very proud of your work.

Feedman, barney, aaronc and 1 other person like this.
  4. aaronc

aaronc 12 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield
    It certainly isn't the $$,...it is something just for the love of it. Thank you.

Feedman, barney and Dark Cloud like this.
  5. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    Looks great Aaron, craftsmanship is amazing!

aaronc likes this.
  6. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Id like to buy one of those from you but i cant afford the $10k(earned and deserved) of time you are putting into it. Thank you for sharing the journey and letting us follow along for free. I have shown this to my 13 years old girls (nerdy history buffs) and you have achieved hero status with them (and probably most of us) as well.

aaronc and Dark Cloud like this.
  7. aaronc

aaronc 12 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield

Thanks D,..much appreciated.

8. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Your patience and talent is amazing.
    Thanks for sharing

9. aaronc

aaronc 12 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield
    I've had a lot of time in the last several I've done. As stated it isn't a money thing, however this one is the most extensive. As far as I'm concerned there is great value on having an interest in history...not to mention it is just fun. I'm no expert on it but Frontier Kentucky is as cool as it gets....and is no joke. It's loaded with log cabins and homesteads cleared with early American axes,..Indian kidnappings and rescues,..Kentucky Rifles and powder horns.

Glad your girls enjoy looking at my work,..tell'em stay with the interest in history. If they by some chance like to do anything with their hands then they have free entertainment for life IMO that is dependent on nothing but themselves....think about that a minute. I encourage my girl (she's 10 ) daily to chase it down..whatever her hands want to do she has my brain,...time,...tools.....shop,...anything at my disposal. It can be anything...if they decide to take a swing at scrimshaw let me know...whatever I can do to get them started just ask. Below is a cow rib I picked up out of the woods...still haven't finished the project but you get the point.

A Cow Rib Project | Kentucky Hunting

If scrimshaw is a little ahead of what they want to do but they like to draw,.. pen and ink may interest them as well...it has a really vintage look to it. I've done a few,..my wife has dibs on the next one. As I move through my project list doing a "Kentucky Grouse" project is on the agenda for @Drahts if I get that far. This turned into a bit of a ramble....art and history are a rabbit hole :)

On a side note my kid is on the academic team and just tied for 1st place on the history/social studies section in our district competition ;)

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021 at 8:35 PM
    carnivore, Drahts and Feedman like this.
  10. aaronc

aaronc 12 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield
    Much appreciated Feedman.