Kentucke 1784

Discussion in 'D.I.Y.' started by aaronc, May 20, 2020.

1. aaronc

aaronc 10 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield
    I'm going to make this a little build thread on a scrimshaw project,...I had posted some initial pics in Carl's pic thread,..but we'll start at the beginning and move forward here with a little repeat of the background info...

Subject matter happens to be a 1784 Kentucke Territory map. The map is the work of a gentleman named John Filson, and as per the fancy cartouche title it was presented to the Congress but more specifically George Washington. It states "Late" commander of the army so he was no longer an active General but this was also before he was president.........things were just getting going [​IMG]

Attached Files:

carnivore, barney, Carl and 4 others like this.
  2. aaronc

aaronc 10 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield
    I kinda have just taken a light week or 2 off from my swing at being a scrimshander,..really this initial sketchy outline of the cartouche was just simply kickin my tail. Anyway,...I at least got it boxed in and a once over with the tool on everything shown. No way this will be a bench copy of this image,..way too complicated for my skills...but it is one of the main points of the work so there is much more on it to come. I had 3 sides drawn,..so today I finished to 4th side of the cartouche and then went over all of it with the scrimshaw tool. Next time it'll be pick up the pencil and add more drawing. Spent about 2.5 hours on it today. Probably got a good 4 or 5 hours in it on previous sessions....I've done some erasing [​IMG] I know it doesn't look like close to 8 hours work,..but it is. That's not counting the chair time I spend with a horn at night laying stuff out in my head before I ever put a pencil on it [​IMG]

The thing is with these horns,...they have an obvious strong taper,....so something like a "boxy" kinda image sometimes has to have a slant to it as well or you end up with a am image that just doesn't look right on a nice curvy horn,..at least to me. So here is some pics,....First one is of the sketch before scratching and you can figure it out from there. As I move along I am constantly holding the horn up to natural light to make sure I haven't missed any lines.

Attached Files:

3. aaronc

aaronc 10 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield

Attached Files:

4. JR PORTER

JR PORTER 10 pointer

May 1, 2014
    KNOTT CO. KY
    Awesome work you’re doing!

aaronc likes this.
  5. aaronc

aaronc 10 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield

,....Thank you. It keeps the voices in my head quiet ;)

Brody and barney like this.
  6. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Lot of patience in doing that,will be following

aaronc likes this.
  7. chadwimc

chadwimc 10 pointer

Oct 29, 2004
    What a project !!! You're lucky. The voices in my head started speaking Portuguese. Now I don't know what the heck they're jibber jabbering about...:D

aaronc and Feedman like this.
  8. timer

timer 10 pointer

Feb 20, 2013
    La Grange
    That is an amazing map! Notice that Harrodsburg and Bardstown are on the map....

Excellent work! Thank you for sharing!

aaronc likes this.
  9. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    Can't wait to see finished project.

aaronc likes this.
  10. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    Wow! Outstanding work as usual. Thank you for sharing with us.

aaronc and Dark Cloud like this.
  11. Munson

Munson 12 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Haha! Mine would be screaming!
    Nice work

aaronc likes this.
  12. aaronc

aaronc 10 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield
    Yes,..the owner of the horn actually wants Harrodsburg to be sure and be on the horn. There is a fort there and a yearly camp/show that these guys go to.

Thanks to the rest for the comments,..:)

13. aaronc

aaronc 10 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield
    Have gotten 3 or 4 more sessions in,...compass rose is roughed in,..and I'd say about half of the map is roughed in. Fancy box cartouche is not finished but we'll get back to that. I wanted to get the overall layout kinda in place. Also there is a scroll that is found on the map,...Daniel Boones name is actually in it,..but it is in place opposite side of the horn as the cartouche,..the owners name will go here. No ink is down yet,...only sketched and scratched in.

Attached Files:

GA-E, Munson and barney like this.
  14. GA-E

GA-E Fawn

Jun 19, 2020
    S.C. Kentucky
    Absolutely beautiful work!

aaronc likes this.
  15. aaronc

aaronc 10 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield