Kennel Under A Tonneau Hard Cover?

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by mcdenney, Jan 21, 2014.

1. mcdenney

mcdenney 12 pointer

Dec 16, 2002
    Wildcat Country, USA.
    I have always had a camper top or open truck bed when using a kennel to transport multiple bird dogs. I have a Tonneau hard cover now and I am trying to decide how safe it is to transport them with the lid down and tailgate up (fully enclosed) during cold conditions. My fear of fumes being sucked back into the bed under the tailgate is the concern? Anybody have any experience with this kind of setup? Thoughts?

2. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    Greenup, ky, USA.
    I wouldn't do it myself but I don't want to take a chance on killing one of my dogs.

sent from the front deck

3. mcdenney

mcdenney 12 pointer

Dec 16, 2002
    Wildcat Country, USA.
    Well, I don't want to take a chance either thus the question. I would assume if I raise the cover a couple inches then that shouldbe enough ventilation.

4. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    Your box needs to be extremely well ventilated. Personally I wouldn't take the chance. At a minimum you'll probably teach your dog to absolutely hate getting in the box because it'll be hotter than hell in there if it isn't ventilated properly.

I know that because I've seen it happen. You'll dang near have to calf wrestle your dog to go inside. I don't worry about my dogs getting cold in the box. They can take far more abuse from the elements than us. Plus I'd rather have a slightly chilled dog than a completely cold dead one.

John Wick tells in one of his books about the time he accidently smothered four coon hounds on the way to a trial - complete with pics. He did so to make sure everyone that read his book realized just how deadly tight dog boxes can be.

You really only have to worry about gassing the dogs when stationary. Suffocation should be the bigger worry.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  5. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    I wouldn't risk it with a tonneau cover. Just can't take that chance.

I like dog boxes to have the jailhouse bars in the door. That way I know they get enough air. As long as the wind isn't directly on them, they won't freeze. Of course in the summer you want all the breeze you can get and don't be stationary in the hot sun. I've check my dog box in warm weather and as long as we're moving it isnt' hot at all, but stay parked a few minutes and it could become an oven.

6. mcdenney

mcdenney 12 pointer

Dec 16, 2002
    Wildcat Country, USA.
    Here is the kennel I have. I could either leave the tailgate down or keep the cover up a few inches. I think that should be fine.
    [​IMG]

7. brettfrancis1

brettfrancis1 6 pointer

Oct 26, 2006
    Danville, KY
    I like the easy loader boxes too. I'm never concerned about a dog getting cold in the box. I've heard lots of bad stories about fumes and heat killing dogs. Has anyone on here ever heard of a dog freezing to death in a dog box? Just curious.

8. coop427

coop427 6 pointer

Feb 4, 2010
    In Sane
    I don't know how often you transport your dogs or how much you want to invest, but maybe buy a louvered tailgate to allow ventilation. They are a few hundred $ or if you can, fab one.

9. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    I've never heard of a dog dying from exposure in a dog box. After hunting my hounds in the swamps during single digit temps and seeing their tails completely froze, looking like pipe cleaners I realized just how much they can handle. The whole day they ran rabbits on frozen swamp muck. My feet were froze and hurting by the end of that day.

My current dog box is a custom diamond plate job I fell arse backwards on to. It runs the length of my truck bed. It has four individual compartments with jailhouse bars on the doors. There are rails on each door so you can slide sheet metal over to cover them but I never do when the dogs are inside. On the left and right side of the box there are large sliding windows with screen covering them. On the back of the box there are two large vents that make up the back of the middle two compartments. So each individual compartment has the jailhouse vent doors and either a large vent or screened in window for ventilation. Also there is cross ventilation. I really like the box.

It was made in Atalla, Alabama by Creative Sport Supply. Below is a link to their website. My box is exactly the same as the box on their home page. Unfortunately, a doctor in Paducah had it custom built to fit a trailer instead of run the width of a pick up as it is 66" wide. I got a heck of a deal on it so I can overlook having to put it in the truck length-wise and offset it to the left of the bed.

http://creativedogboxes.com